Sony 36" FS13 16:9 question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mac, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Mac

Mac Agent

I just purchased a Sony 36" FS13 which will arrive on Saturday. I bought it mostly for the 16:9 compression that allows me to watch anamorphic DVD's in their full glory. My question is do I need to set my DVD player to 16:9 or 4:3 to accomplish this? And if I have to set it to 16:9, do I have to reset it to 4:3 when I am watching a DVD that is not anamorphic? It is bad enough that the Sony does not have auto detection and you have to use your remote to select 16:9, but if I also have to do that with the DVD player, that is getting a little rediculous. My wife will never be able to figure that out. Thanks.

Mac

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

You set your DVD to 16:9 full time. For non-anamorphic DVDs, they are full frame (4:3) and there is nothing special for the DVD player to do.

The difference between the 4:3 and 16:9 settings in the DVD player is only for anamorphic DVDs: Letterbox them, or send the anamorphic image out unchanged. You want the latter.

3. Mac

Mac Agent

Marc

There are quite a few DVD's that are non-anamorphic but are widescreen, either 1.85 or 2.35. Are you saying that the 16:9 setting in the DVD player only applies to anamorphic DVD's, so if it is non-anamorphic it will be letterboxed on the TV?

Mac

4. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

You will set your DVD player to 16:9 and you will not have to change it. Anamorphic DVDs will look correct as long as you use the "16x9 Enhanced" mode on the WEGA. Non-anamorphic letterboxed and full-frame DVDs will also be shown correctly without having to change any settings on the DVD player.