Sony 36" Flat or Panny 32" HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mac, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Mac

Mac Agent

I currently have a 7 yr old Mitsubishi 35" tube tv and am in the market for a replacement. My budget is no more than $1,500, and I would prefer to stick with a 35" or 36", but would move to a 32" if the improvement was worth it. I currently am leaning towards the Sony 36" Flat screen--not HDTV model for a list price of $1,299, but I saw a Panasonic 32" HDTV for $1,599 and would pay the extra $$$ if it was worth it. I do not plan on purchasing a HDTV decoder until the next generation is out. I do have a progressive scan DVD player that will be hooked up to this TV, but the majority of viewing will be off of the sattelite dish. Waht do you think--should I give up the 4" of screen and pay $300 more for the Panasonic, or would the Sony be enough for my standards? Thanks.

Mac

2. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Mac,
    Just to confuse the issue even more, have you looked at the Hitachi 36UDX10s for about the same $$ as the 32" Panny?
    click here for info
    $1599 at CC.
    [​IMG]

3. Theodore_R

Theodore_R Auditioning

I wouldn't consider the Hitachi if I were you -- it only has one wideband component input. You now have a progressive scan dvd player, which requires that input, so what do you do if you ever decide to get an HDTV tuner? That's the mistake I made when I purchased my TV two years ago. Most new HDTVS today have two component inputs if not more. Ones that don't are obsolete in my opinion.