What's new

Sony 34xbr910 vs RCA HDLP50W151 (1 Viewer)

I know it might not be the same type of technology to compare, but I wanted to get just a general overall comparison between the 2 sets. I have a chance at getting either of the 2 for the same price ($2500). As for my room setup, I would prefer a smaller physical set, because I am in an apartment with not that much space for a big, bulky set. Any advice?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, the Sony, besides being lauded by reviewers as the best direct-view set on the current market, is certainly bulky and heavy, but don't let that deter you from buying it. And despite the good picture on many of Thomson's RCA-branded displays, their reliability is in serious question (according to Consumer Reports, Thomson's GE and RCA brands have the worst repair records of any large OEM).

So, if I were in your fortunate position, I'd be salivating over that XBR with major anticipation of getting it into my home theater.

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
I would hold off until the new Sammy DLP's are released. At the price point you are going to spend you should be close to what the new sets will be had for. Just my 2 cents.

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I also live in an apartment Chris and I have a 34" XBR910. It's a fantastic tv if you're sitting around 7-9 feet away. Obviously the closer you sit the more you're going to enjoy this one. :) I have no complaints.

I would certainly stay away from the other set you mentioned. It's reliability is questionable.

As for another option. I would recommend the 42" Sony LCD Projection. If you go to a local electronics store you can bargain it down to $2500 and it's a really nice tv. The picture quality is fantastic and they've fixed those lightbulb problems that plagued the set early on. I bought one but ended up returning it for the XBR910. However, I certainly loved the tv. I just decided the XBR was the better choice for me. IMO Sony makes the best tvs in the world.

Dan

I appreciate all of the replies. After I reading them, it seems like the general consensus would be to go with the XBR. I've always leaned towards CRT sets previously, because I've preferred the picture quality. And after seeing the XBR910, it blew me away. But the age old question always creeps into my head, would a larger screen be better (especially with this DLP technology)?

Also for those with the XBR set, is there a way to see which HD resolution you are viewing? I know some sets allow you to hit the display button, and it'll say that you're watching a 1080i program, for example. Once again, thanks for the replies. It'll help make my decision that much easier.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Chris, I have a simple philosophy: Picture quality trumps picture quantity. The XBR910 is the current pinnacle of consumer direct-view display technology. To get a better direct-view monitor, you have to be a professional. JB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks