Sony 34XBR910 comment and question

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mark:F, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Mark:F

Mark:F Stunt Coordinator

Was about to update you about my 3 week old 910 but CNET does it better. They just reviewed it, saying it's the top performing HDTV of 2003, setting the new standard against which all other direct view HDTVs will be measured. I can't add anything to that-the TV, from my amateur viewpoint, is perfect by day and night.

My question involves set-up and calibration. I've got HDTV using DVI. I had no calibration, just set up the TV via the on screen menu. My settings are-
    Standard mode
    Picture, brightness, color and sharpness all at 50%
    Hue at 25%
    Color temp neutral
    Clear edge VM off

My first question - most of the comments I've seen about mode settings favored the pro mode over standard, vivid or movie. I wonder if my choosing the standard mode means that I prefer a softer analog type picture? To my eye the standard setting looks to be the truest lifelike picture, and not soft at all.
    Secondly, what are your opinions on calibrating this TV? Is it always worth it because there are likely to be internal tweaks that can improve things? Or did I just get lucky with having a great picture out of the box? Are there any things I should look for that might indicate a need for calibration?

2. Mark:F

Mark:F Stunt Coordinator

I guess Xmas eve wasn't the best time to post this. Doh.
    Hope someone can offer advice.