sony '333es vs '555es

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoshS, Apr 9, 2002.

1. JoshS

JoshS Stunt Coordinator

Hi everyone,

I have a sony '333es sacd changer and was wondering if

upgrading to the '555es would make any diffence. I am only interested in two channel.

With the prices dropping on the 555 the upgrade wouldn't be too expensive.

I'll be using it with a classe integrade amp and vandersteen speakers.

Thanks,

Josh

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Josh, I have the 'C333ES and 'C555ES, but they are in different systems, and admittedly, I am lazy when it comes to dragging components through the house to do comparisons. However, I added the 'C222ES last week to the system where the 'C333ES resides, and my feeling is that the 'C222ES is better with both CDs and SACDs. Vocals are smoother on the 'C222ES, for example. These players are in the lesser resolving of my two stereo systems, so I feel this says a lot for the 'C222ES. Given my observations, I would bet that the 'C555ES would beat the 'C333ES.

3. JoshS

JoshS Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Keith,

I'm still not sure what to do. I'd probably sell the 333 first, I have no need for 2 sacd changers. From what I've heard, J and R is selling the 555 for $500, when I see that low of a price it's hard to pass up. Although I have had my eye on the Classe 1.5, someone on audiogons site has brand new ones for around $1400. We shall see.........

Thanks,

Josh

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Josh, I just have gone through a similar thing myself. Before I explain, let me say that J&R Music World is not selling the 'C555ES for $500. One or two people got the player for that price, but apparently, a salesman there admitted that $500 is the price of the CDP-M555ES CD megachanger, not the 'C555ES. The standard price that J&R will quote you is $600 for the 'C555ES, but they will drop down to $550.
    I have a 'C333ES in my second stereo system and observed static one time in the middle of the Mary Chapin Carpenter SACD, which is a multi-channel disc. From what I have read on this web site and Audio Asylum, this will happen on the 'C333ES at random with certain multi-channel discs. There is nothing wrong with the 'C333ES per se, meaning there is no fix for it (fortunately it has only happened once in a year). There is also nothing wrong with the disc. It is just a random incompatibility with certain multi-channel discs. Anyway, one time with static was one too many. I couldn't enjoy the Carpenter disc after that, so I sought a newer SACD changer.
    My first approach was to get a cheap player since the 'C333ES is an excellent player outside the random static issue. First I went with the 'CE775 for $200 from J&R, which was quite good for the money. However, about two weeks after getting it, the price dropped on the 'C222ES and 'C555ES ($380 and $600, respectively through J&R). I decided to exchange the 'CE775 for the 'C222ES. My initial impressions of the 'C222ES were very positive (I had listened to it along with the 'CE775 and 'C555ES at Tweeter in the past). However, I started to notice some odd behavior of the carousel drawer after about a week, which I reported in another thread here. Given the difference in build quality between the 'C222ES and 'C555ES, I decided to bite the bullet and get the 'C555ES. The 'C222ES goes back today. I got the 'C555ES from J&R for $550.
    I've had a 'C555ES connected to my main stereo and home-theater systems since last October, and I love the player. Sound and build quality are first-rate, and the 'C555ES is a bargain at $550. I liked the sound provided by the 'C222ES for $380, but the build quality is a step down from the 'C333ES and 'C555ES.
    Now that I am getting the 'C555ES, I haven't decided what I will do with the 'C333ES. I probably won't sell it because I probably couldn't get much for it these days. Oh well. With both changers in the system, I will be able to load up a combination of ten CDs and SACDs, instead of just five. [​IMG]