Sony 300 DVD-Changer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Richards, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Tony Richards

Mar 18, 1999
    Does anyone have any experience with the Sony 300 DVD Changer model #DVP-CX870D? I THINK I would like to have a lot of my DVDs in a "jukebox" type player, instead on always putting them in and out, but I don't really know of anyone who has done this before? Can anyone here give me any feedback or input?

Thanks a bunch
  2. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

Dec 4, 2001
    I owned one for a few months, I traded it in because I wanted another toy instead. As far as functionality goes it's not bad. It has the ability to pull the jacket pictures off of the DVD if they are available, custom naming, separate files for genres, etc. Instead of telling you about the good things I'll give you my beefs.

1. It doesn't play CD-R's. Nuff said.
    2. The custom naming is limited to a really short number of characters. It's somewhere around 20 I think. It makes you get creative with your names.
    3. Sometimes it would get confused if powered off with a DVD loaded. This isn't a big deal, but it's something to take note of.
    4. You couldn't browse the contents of the changer while a disc was playing. I only found this annoying when I was playing audio CD's.

There are a lot of pluses to this unit as well, but I'm sure you've researched those by now. The main reason I got rid of this changer was because I was also storing audio CD's in it and that just wasn't for me. I like to move my disc's around too much.

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Mar 29, 2000
    I like mine. Aaron makes some good points.Its true about the 'gets confused' but only if you turn it off with the button (Hard off) on the unit,use the remote to turn it off.
    I use DVD Profiler to keep track off my DVDs and rarely bother with typing the DVDa in the unit. Newer ones have text on them so its the best of both worlds.
    It has a +1 (easy play ) that is very useful

Never misplace a disc and no scratches or fingerprints!