Sony 30" vs Toshiba

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mark:F, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Mark:F

Mark:F Stunt Coordinator

Narrowed down to Sony KV-30HS420 vs Toshiba 30HF84. Any major differences between them?

2. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Just off had & don't hold me to it, The Toshiba is cheaper, has one less Composite Video Input, isn't as wide (If that helps you) but the two things for me would be that I think Toshiba has the BEST "FILL" modes for 4:3 Material of any brand out there & Sony's Labor Warranty is only 90 days & the Toshiba's is 1 Year. But check all of this out because I could be wrong on the Inputs & Sony's Warranty.

3. Mark:F

Mark:F Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info Bill...looks like you're correct...I checked alot of sites to make sure...Toshiba fill mode has 5 video modes vs 4 for the Sony...to complicate things, my HDTV box (I already have a big HDTV, now I'm replacing a bedroom TV)has full and zoom modes too, accessible via the remote, so I get to mess around even more...the Sony's 4"wider...speakers...it's nice that Tosh put them on the bottom....it's amazing that the Sony is 150lbs, Toshiba 88lbs!!!It almost has me lean toward the sony, there must be something good in those extra 60lbs?

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Mark, are you sure of the Toshiba's weight? because that sounds "light" to me & more like the 26" model.
    30" With Speakers On The Sides (Aprox.)
    Samsung 123 lbs.
    Philips 123 lbs.
    Sanyo 132 lbs.
    Panasonic 140 ibs.
    JVC 154 lbs. (Analog Set)
    And last years Toshiba 30" was 119 lbs.
    Check over at www.avsforum.com & you might be able to get more info on the set because if I remember right? a few guys already have the set & I think there was a post on getting into the Service Menu too. Myself I'm saving up for the Sanyo 32" HDTV with the Built-IN HDTV Tuner that Wal-Mart has but the more I look at the 30" model the better it's looking [​IMG] Won't buy until after the 1st of the year though & I just got back from Wal-Mart & they had an HDTV Feed hooked up to it & to me the picture looks "Great" for $747 & I'm hoping $50.00 or so lower just before Xmas or right after [​IMG] Plus I like the idea of really being able to return the set for another one up to a year & if you Push Wal-Mart they will give you your money back on it up to a year.