What's new

Sony 30 inch 16x9 ( KV30HS420) Questions (1 Viewer)

Carrol

Agent
I've got some questions about this TV. I'm hoping owners of this set or the 34 inch incarnation of it can help.

My uses for the tv are as follows...

75 % of my viewing is of DirecTv... 4:3 programming (Cable news, old tv shows, etc).

25% of my viewing is widescreen or anamorphic widescreen dvd's.

I'm really concerned though, that with my high viewership of standard tv 4:3 programming will cause 'burn in' if I view it in normal mode (black bars on sides) and that I will be unhappy with the 'zoom' on 4:3 programming.

Has the zoom on tube 16:9's improved in the past 5 years or so? Is there a real concern with 'burn in'?

Thanks for any and all advice

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Toshiba has the Best "Stretch" / "Zoom" modes of any of the companies. I would go & check out the Toshiba & see if you can live with the Modes. If you don't like the Toshiba's Modes your going to hate the other brands Modes even more & yes they have gotten better.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
i disagree with Bill Will, i think the sony has the best stretch modes, and not only that, check out your latest sound and vision magazine, they have a head to head of the tv's, and the sony won in PQ (which is the only consideration in my book).

i just bought the 34", because i just want something that looks good and thats all. im getting it tomorrow, ill let you know how it works out, or if you have any other questions.

Carrol

Agent

Did you get your TV over the weekend? If so, are you pleased witht he performance?

My main thing is how will regular cable look on it. In 'Full' or 'Zoom' mode.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
yeah, i just got it this weekend. but i work at a retailer, so i was familiar with it.

its pretty source-dependant, but it does VERY good on regular cable. im not much of a TV guy, so i just have basic analog comcast cable. it looks surprisingly good. i wouldnt use zoom or full though, just use wide zoom if you want to fill the screen. it looks decent. but the size isnt a huge issue, so i just use normal, and watch it in 4:3, i dont watch much for that to be an issue.

i have been testing it out pretty heavily (hd and dvd), and im pleased with it. its fine for my needs. ive seen better, but not for under $10k. definately check out the service menu if you are brave. you can tweak it in every way.

Users who are viewing this thread