SONY 2ES/4ES users, please help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSP, Nov 20, 2002.

1. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

I am trying out the Sony 2ES and have a few questions.
    How do I change the "Normal Surround" mode from the remote control? i.e. if I want to change from DPL-II music to DPL-II movie or DTS-Neo. I know there is a button on the receiver's front panel but I could not find it on the remote.
    Also, how do you activate or deactivate the "Surround Back" channel? i.e. can I go on the fly from DD to DD-EX or vice versa? If I am watching Episode-I and I want to switch to DD-EX, how do I do it?
    Everytime I do any of the above from my remote I have to go in the OSD/Menu and hit a few buttons to do it and it does not make any sense.
    I used to own a 555ES and I believe Sony still does not have it's act together in writing good manuals [​IMG]

2. MattJS

MattJS Extra

Nick,

I have a 4ES and am not sure if it is the same remote.

If it is, to switch normal surround sound modes, push in on the scrolling button in the center. This is the same button you press when changing the sound field. When I select a sound field, I push this button to enter the sound field and keep pressing it to change between DPL, DPLII, Neo etc...

As far as back decoding, I believe that you press one of the < or > key, and you can scroll left and right up and down to find the SB decoding option and turn the back speakers on, off, matrix etc......

Keep in mind I am doing this from memory...I will have a look tonight and check to see if I am right. Someone may answer your question better by then..

Smitty

3. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Thanks Matt, I believe the remotes are different and I can't find those buttons on mine. I will look more closely and I hope someone with a 2ES helps me out.

4. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

Nick--this ain't much help but I guess it's better than nothing, so...is there a "2-CH" button or similar somewhere on your remote? If so, what happens if you keep pressing it, and/or hitting the left and right arrows/cursor pad--does it switch between the various PL and DTS-Neo modes?

5. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Thanks Tony but I just came back from the Good Guys after swapping my 2ES with a 4ES. I happened to read somewhere that the 2ES is actually a DB series Sony. Anyway, I have hooked up the 4ES and am loving it so far. Thanks again.