What's new

Sony 29" Wega disallows HUE modifications. Why? (1 Viewer)

Myki Cantero

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sony KV-XA29N90 Wega. It's an Asian model so I'm not sure if this is sold in the US.

I just bought an AVIA disc but when I was calibrating HUE and COLOR, it does not allow it. The option is grayed out. But when watching TV (cable), it works.

Why? The manual doesn't say anything about this and I haven't had the chance to contact customer support yet.

Myki

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
Are you using component inputs perhaps? I think component inputs might bypass some of the color processings, as it's unnecessary. Try temporarily using an s-video or composite connection to calibrate with, and of course make sure that other settings don't get too far off when you go back. If you're using s-video then the same theory may hold, and try using composite.
Of course this is just a WAG on my part, so disregard if it doesn't turn out to be the cause :)
Hope this helps,
-- Dave

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Normally, hue is an adjustment peculiar to the processing of the C, or color, subsignal of S-video (also the C subsignal pulled out of composite video). This adjustment is not relevant to component video. Using a composite source to adjust hue will not change anything playing via the component inputs.
Some TV sets may have a hue control with a different meaning that does apply to component video.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I have read of some US sets that do not allow some color adjustments when using component video inputs. As far as I know, Sony US models are not among these.

I also know of several dvd players that have user adjustable color controls which will overcome this problem--JVC and Panasonic RP-91 are a couple of US makes that do this and I'm sure there are others.

Myki Cantero

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you for the reply guys. I'm actually using component video (optical) to connect my DVD to the TV. So I guess I don't have to tune the hue anymore.

Hmmm, maybe the Avia guys should have mentioned that. :) It would have at least saved me the frustration from trying to get in touch with Sony technical support.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks