Sony 27 inch has serious problems

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chris Tedesco, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Chris Tedesco

Chris Tedesco Second Unit

Wow, just when I bought the Sony 36 in XBR800 HDTV, my beloved 27 inch Sony KVseries went to crap!

I've only had the unit 4 years and last year it acted up with something that is hard to describe.

While watching TV it all of a sudden got 10 shades brighter, plus had lines streaking through horizontally. I never saw anything like it. Well, it seemed to get better for a while, but just tonight....bam, right back.

Does anyone know the description I'm talking about? Anyway, I'm bummed because I needed this T.V. for upstairs and at this time I really can't buy another set. Maybe a repair if I knew what it was and how much.

Any help, I know it's not much to go on but it's all I got.

thx

2. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

Wow. That sucks.

*Narrows eyes at 27" WEGA sitting across the room*[​IMG]

3. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

A few possibilities ; worst case - Shorting picture tube.
    Other things : a cracked circuit board near the high voltage transformer - from moving the set ? or resting the bottom on a table edge during a move ?
    Best case ; the picture tube socket could have come partially unplugged or a wiring harness could have stretched and come unplugged at one end. Both of these could have happened while moving the set.

Reseating connecters and sockets is a fairly simple operation but I hesitate to suggest it for someone of undetermined electrical experience since potentially lethal voltages could be present on the socket even with the set off for a long period of time.

4. Chris Tedesco

Chris Tedesco Second Unit

Thanks Steve,

I do not have much electrical experience especially when it comes to a T.V's internals. I most likely going to have it looked at and if it's something like you described, hopefully it won't cost too much.