What's new

Sony 2020 TV line-up, with surprise news (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How does the Sony 65A8H compare to LG a and Samsung OLEDs? I’ve not seen it recommended against other OLEDs, but maybe for $1800 it’s a great buy. I’m too late for this sale, but if it drops again I can be ready.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't know if this is a TV or AVR question...

Will eARC from a Sony send audio to my pre-4K, pre-eARC receiver? Or do I also have to buy a new receiver if I plan to use internal streaming apps and want audio sent to a surround system.

Jim517

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Does your receiver have ARC ? If so, it will work but default to ARC. I use an optical digital cable to get audio from my OTA antenna and TV's apps.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My receiver is like 10+ years old. So probably not. And it sounds like ARC only does stereo, not 5.1.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hoping it works. I intend to use the TV's apps for 4K content, and want 5.1 sound out to the receiver. At least in the short term, that will save me $200 not having to buy a 4K AppleTV.

AVGeek99

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
My receiver is like 10+ years old. So probably not. And it sounds like ARC only does stereo, not 5.1.

That is not correct. ARC is not limited to stereo. ARC supports up to DD+ 5.1 and DD+ Atmos. eARC adds support for lossless audio.

My system doesn't have eARC, so I don't have firsthand experience, but from what I've read eARC currently is pretty buggy, kind of like ARC 4-5 years ago. If everything in your chain supports eARC and you have the latest firmware through the entire chain it should work most of the time.

But honestly what's the point? eARC is currently in the "because I can" category. There are currently no streaming services that offer lossless audio. About the only current use case for eARC with lossless audio is with movies ripped (with lossless audio intact) to a hard drive connected to a TV that does eARC. There are better, more reliable ways to do this.

eARC will be better in a few years once it has had time to mature and firmware issues are figured out. But it won't be truly useful until streaming services start offering lossless audio.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
2.5 hours left to take advantage of Sony's Black Friday sale on 55" and 65" A8H and 55", 65" and 77" A9G Master Series OLED TVs.

Also the 75" and 85" X900H and 65", 75" and 85" X950H.

Prices will never be lower and most will not ever be as low as they are now.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
FYI for you 2020 Sony owners: The front LED came on the past couple weeks. I spent an hour trying to turn it off per Sony support manual. That didn’t work. (In fact, Sony’s design is perverse: LED is on to tell you MIC is off. That’s up there in stupid design.)

Then I found this. And it worked. Toggle time display format to 24h and back 12h and the light turns off.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And the light came back on. I covered it with electrical tape. Weird bug with Sony TV, insists on the microphone-alert light always being on.

Great TV otherwise

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Anyone know if Apple Music app is coming for Sony TVs? It came out for my LG LCD.

Now that I’ve got a modern AVR connected to my 2020 Sony 950H, it’s great. I can watch 4K on the Sony app and use eARC to send audio to the receiver (pending upgrading to a 4K streaming box). eARC so far works well with only minor hiccups sometimes.

I was planning to go 100% to smartTV apps using the Sony apps to watch streaming. The TV’s UX is fast enough and the apps work as well as any other streaming box I’ve got. But without an Apple Music app, I still need an AppleTV. So then I might as well use the AppleTV 100% and never use the Sony TV apps.

But if Apple Music - like AppleTV already did -- is coming, I can hold off on buying a new 4K aTV.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m playing with my Sony this morning and finding that Sony TVs don’t offer frame rate matching? Or at least cannot show actual source or display frame rate? This is a living room TV so I don’t care, but I’m helping a friend with TV setup problems on his Sony OLED TV and checking whether frame rate match is on or if soap opera mode is on is hard / impossible. Or maybe Sony no longer has frame rate match and only does frame interpolation?

Any insights on this? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks