Sony 2020 TV line-up, with surprise news

TheFOMO

Agent
Real Name
QT Fomo
Robert, with Sony recently changing its plans to double PS5 output to meet unexpected consumer demand for gaming and TVs during quarantine, I'm wondering if Sony North America may be changing its plans and launching the 48" A9S this year to take advantage of this unusual TV spending surge, especially as it would perfectly coincide with the PS5 launch. I also noticed that it has 4x HDMI 2.1 so this makes it clearly a candidate for the VRR update too!
Specs: https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/073f2026
€1900 European launch: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1595576524

Reactions: Robert_Zohn

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
I've recently asked my contacts at Sony and at this time they have not made a final decision on bring the 48A9S into the US market.

David Norman

Premium
Have you had a chance to compare the LG 48in to the Sony 49 950H?
For non gamers and people not using it as a computer monitor, what's the advantage/disadvantages of one over the other ignoring price

Reactions: DaveF

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
Have you had a chance to compare the LG 48in to the Sony 49 950H?
For non gamers and people not using it as a computer monitor, what's the advantage/disadvantages of one over the other ignoring price
As someone who owns the LG 48XC, it was all about contrast ratio for me. As good as a FALD LED set can look, it's not even going to come close to OLED contrast. When I'm gaming, watching streaming content or just relaxing, I find the extra contrast incredibly worthwhile and one of the largest PQ upgrades you can make.

Reactions: Sam Posten

TheFOMO

Agent
Real Name
QT Fomo
As someone who owns the LG 48XC, it was all about contrast ratio for me. As good as a FALD LED set can look, it's not even going to come close to OLED contrast. When I'm gaming, watching streaming content or just relaxing, I find the extra contrast incredibly worthwhile and one of the largest PQ upgrades you can make.
Is the improved contrast noticeable a more brightly lit room?

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
One nice advantage of OLED display technology is that the blacks do not degrade as the ambient room light increases. So the contrast ratio is maintained and the low luminance areas of the image show all of the shadow details.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten

TheFOMO

Agent
Real Name
QT Fomo
Congratulations Robert! Can you tell us what makes the A9S better than the A8H, as it's a "Master Series" designation? It's the only Master Series model of 2020!

Last edited:
Reactions: Robert_Zohn

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
@TheFOMO, Sony's A9S Master Series OLED TV goes through Sony's Q/C, setting the White Point offset, gamma and CMS calibration at the factory. The new A9S also has an upgraded built-in audio system with more actuators and the screen can also be used as the center channel speaker for users with an external multi-channel sound system.

With al this said, Sony's A8h series has Sony's new selectable "Clearness" aka BFI user menu settings and slightly better near black detail.

Checkout Sony's Youtube video about how they Q/C and calibrate all Master Series TVs.

@David Norman, your wish is my command! Stand by for our 1st impressions and comparison to other OLED TVs.

Reactions: atcolomb

AVGeek99

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
We notified all of our A9H pre order customers that Sony has canceled this series and will continue the A9G through the balance of the 2020 model year and that Sony will continue to develop firmware updates to enhance the performance of the A9G.
Do you have any insights to the firmware updates/enhancements that Sony is planning for the A9G?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PJay