Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Insider
Reaction score
Website
valueelectronics.com
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Yes for the 49" and 85" X950Hs that we've received. X950H 55, 65 and 75" are shipping in a week or two. Not sure what Sony did to reduce the haloing around bright objects, but it is moderately improved over the 2019 X950G.

I have only seen X900H at CES and in my visit to Sony HQ so I can't comment until I have them in my showroom for careful evaluation.

Reactions: DaveF

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Insider
Reaction score
Website
valueelectronics.com
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Here's the most important differences between the X900H and X950H.

The overall image quality is better on the X950H mostly due to the X1 Ultimate processor and the X950H has a higher peak luminance and more local dimming zones and more LEDs.

Also if it helps the X950H has the X-Wide feature that helps maintain the image brightness and color accuracy when viewed off axis. However, the X-Wide slightly raises the blacks so the X900H has moderately better minimum luminance levels.

Finally, the X900H will have HDMI 2.1 chipset and the X950H is HDMI 2.0b with the latest HDCP 2.3. So if gaming features like, VRR and ALLM are important the X900H is the TV to buy.

So the best choice should be based on each person's needs.

Reactions: DaveF

donquixote

Auditioning
Reaction score
Real Name
Oscar
Hello Mr Zohn,
I'm interested in the new 48 inch oled TV by Sony but I'm a bit confused about the models or variants Sony is going to launch this year in that size.. I've understood that Sony is going to sell at least one model of 48" size this year, maybe during 1H2020 called A9 or A9s or similar based on the "old" X1 Ultimate processor (announced in the past CES)
My question is if by your knowledge there will be a new 48" model in the future A9h series (rumored to be available in 4Q2020) with the new processor, hdmi 2.1, etc In summary there will be this year two 48 inch Sony models, the 48a9s and the more advanced 48a9h or only the first one?
Thank you very much

Reactions: Robert_Zohn

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Insider
Reaction score
Website
valueelectronics.com
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Hello Oscar,

We have no oficial word from Sony on when the 48A9S will launch in the USA. At CES the product manager told me it would have the new (unnamed) video processor and this was confirmed at my meetig at Sony's HQ with the engineers last month.

More reciently, I have seen the 48A9S discussed in the EU and it has the X1 Ultimate processor. My best guess is we may see a dealy in the USA launch. The only other 48" OLED TV will be LG's CX series that is scheduled for the end of June.

Reactions: donquixote

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Insider
Reaction score
Website
valueelectronics.com
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Another day, another rash of phone calls, emails and PMs saying someone on another forum is spreading FUD about Sony's A8G and A8H.

First I was told that Sony gives better support the the A9G than they do to the A8G and upcoming A8H. They pointed out the fact that the A8G got the Android Pie upgrade and the A8G did not. Well the only truth to that statement is that the A9G did get the Android Pie upgrade and the A8G did not, but where the untruth comes in is that it's due to Sony's decision to give better support the the Master Series.

The real and only reason the A8G did not get the Android Pie is because it was not designed to support Android Pie, but the A8H has and will continue to get every other upgrade that the A9G gets. The A8G processor was not capable to support the Pie operating system.

So this is totally a non issue for the upcoming A8H as it will launch with the flagship X1 Ultimate processor and ship with the Android Pie Smart user interface and Android's new and more powerful operating system ready to rock and roll right out of the box.

I'll post the other misinformation shortly.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Insider
Reaction score
Website
valueelectronics.com
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Welcome to a new episode of how the World (outside of HTF) turns with misinformation.

Here’s the settings we’ll have on the A8H when it arrives early May. No upgrade is needed it will come out of the box ready. For 2020 Sony has redesigned the firmware that resides on the X1 Ultimate chip to drive the OLED pixels more effetely and added several enhancements.

Clearness, aka, BFI are, Min, 1, 2, 3, 4, Max. To adjust Clearness, set MotionFlow to Custom first and to your specific liking.

The A8H will also have the new Android Pie operating system also ready out of the box.

Reactions: Mredwards

Pete Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Hi Mr. Zohn, I have the chance of buying a new in-box 65" A9F. I bought this same size and model for my parents when it was released and I am always impressed by its picture and sound when I see it at their place. I also think the TV has aged well; after multiple firmware releases including an new Android version, the interface remains fast and fluid. I would be more than happy to have this TV even two years after its release but the A9H release later this year gives me pause. I imagine there's only so much you can say about the A9H but do you think it would tempt A9F owners?

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Insider
Reaction score
Website
valueelectronics.com
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Hello Peter, Assuming you are getting a good price go ahead and buy the 65A9F. Great TV.

Sony had me sign an NDA so I can't disclose much about the upcoming A9H, but the big advancement will be the new and yet unnamed video processor.

I am optimistic about the May launch of LG's 2020 A8H OLED TV with the retuned X1 Ultimate video processor and especially the new "Clearness" Black Frame Insertion menu that will feature selectable levels of BFI, Min, 1, 2, 3, 4 and Max. From what I've learned from the engineers these new advancements are a nice upgrade in overall performance.

Madtown36

Auditioning
Reaction score
Real Name
Joshua Richardson
So is the X1 on the X900H equal to the X1 extreme of last year? They aren't using the extreme this year. Also the original X1 didn't have dolby vision but this was does? Any info on the one yet?

TheFOMO

Auditioning
Reaction score
Real Name
QT Fomo
Welcome to a new episode of how the World (outside of HTF) turns with misinformation.
... For 2020 Sony has redesigned the firmware that resides on the X1 Ultimate chip to drive the OLED pixels more effetely and added several enhancements.

Clearness, aka, BFI are, Min, 1, 2, 3, 4, Max. To adjust Clearness, set MotionFlow to Custom first and to your specific liking.

Will this firmware update apply to existing A9G OLED TVs or only to 2020 releases? Thanks Robert!

Paul Bosquet

Auditioning
Reaction score
Real Name
Paul
Glad to see 2020 TVs are coming real soon. Will these have ATSC 3.0?

Also, I know there has been some marketing regarding Filmmaker Mode and it doesn’t appear Sony is onboard. While I would like the convenience of a one button option for this, I would imagine there would be some settings in the Sony’s to get the same effect?

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kanchibrneha