Sony 16:9 enhanced mode and progressive scan

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MikeKane, Aug 1, 2003.

1. MikeKane

MikeKane Auditioning

I recently bought a Sony KV32FS100 tv and have a question about the 16:9 enhanced mode which is one of the reasons I bought this set.

My question is, do I need a progressive scan dvd player to take full advantage of this feature? I currently have my good old Toshiba SD1200 (which is not a progressive scan player) hooked up using component cables and am really happy with the picture but the only thing I have to compare to is my 10 yr old set so anything looks better. [​IMG]

I'm sure someone here can help my confusion. Thanks!

2. Sam Pat

Sam Pat Stunt Coordinator

No, you do not need a progscan player to take advantage of 16:9 mode.

As long as the set is HD-ready or better, the line double inside your set will de-interlace the signal.

But a progscan player will typically yield even better results.

3. Justin Hargis

Justin Hargis Stunt Coordinator

Progressive Scan mode only works with HDTV sets. The 32FS100 is not HDTV-ready. So, if you got a progressive scan DVD player you wouldn't be able to use it's progressive capabilities. However, I must say, the Sony WEGA non-HD sets (27" and above) look amazing using the 16:9 enhanced mode. They're the best direct-view televisions you can get before you go HD, in my opinion.

Good Luck

Note: Make sure to tell your DVD player you have a 16:9 TV even though your TV is 4:3.

4. Kevin-M

Kevin-M Agent

Sam, I've heard the exact opposite. People have said that in the event you have an HDTV and a progressive player, it's better to leave the player in non-progressive mode because TV's have superior line-doubling and 3:2 pulldown technology.

I don't know if this is true or not as I don't have my HDTV yet, but have you heard this as well? Anyone else have comments on this issue?

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. MikeKane

MikeKane Auditioning

Thanks for the answer. I'm very happy with my current setup except for some very slight "oversqueeze" in 16:9 enhanced mode which I understand can be corrected on these sets. I wasn't quite ready to make the hdtv jump yet due to my location and budget and got a great deal on the Sony so all is good for now.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

And you have told your Toshiba to output at 16:9? I suppose you have, or you wouldn't even be here. (I've known people to have bought FS- and FV-series WEGAs who are completely unaware of the 16:9 mode, which is the only truly compelling reason to purchase one of those sets.)

8. Mike Mundt

Mike Mundt Stunt Coordinator

i have the 27" Wega with the 16:9 enhanced mode. I have to tell you, the overall picture clarity is the best you can get from a tube tv and also the closest you'll probably get to progessive scan with a non-HD tv. I've seen quite a few cheaper HD tvs that look nowhere near as nice as those Sony CRT Wegas. I paid $400 for my 27" because I wasn't ready yet to drop $3k or $4k on a HD tv with the kind of picture I wanted. if you looking for a better dvd player to prep yourself for an HD tv, i got my Toshiba sd-9200 on ebay for $400, it was a referbished model. Work just like the new ones do, for $900 less.