Sony 12HT or NEC HT1000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dharmesh Kalyan, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Dharmesh Kalyan

Dharmesh Kalyan Auditioning

I am getting the Sony 12HT at around the same price as the HT1000. What would you recommend,,, I am a bit nervous on the LCD drop outs... but also leaning towards a 16:9 projector in that price range... Any ideas...

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I have not done a direct comparison of the two. What is your criteria for a projector? If you compare the specs, the NEC has the Sony beat on contrast ratio (3000:1 vs 1000:1), although the Sony has it beat on resolution (1366x768 vs 1024x768). For widescreen viewing, this is a big difference.

3. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Screenwriter

I choosed a native 16x9 over a 4x3 because I wanted a projector for primarily dvd and hdtv viewing. Either looks good but I personally find that dvd and hdtv look much better on a 16x9. You should really try to demo both at home before you make your final decision.

Michael

4. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I've seen the Sony 10HT (calibrated with filter) and the 11HT and read many reviews on the 12 compared to these 2. I can tell you that the Sony is a GREAT projector...very plug and play...but also is very challenged in black level and contrast.

Yes....it has great resolution and is 16x9.

Ok...so what about the NEC 1000. I'd say (and I'm a die-hard 16x9 NUT) that if you're not super-sensetive to rainbow artifacts on DLP machines that absolutely go with the 4x3 NEC over the Sony. Why? Because it's dramatically brighter, colors are rich and much more saturated, and the black-level is deep, inky, and satisfying and it provides a smoother, more 3-dimensional picture that is more film-like in appearance than the LCD units. What this means is that it, quite simply, puts out a much better picture *despite* the fact that it's more challenged in the resolution department (would more res make it better still? Sure, but that's not to say that it doesn't look better than the LCD units as is). Since it's DLP it has a better fill-factor than LCD though I understand Sony used some new techniques to help mitigate the screen door on the 12 HT.

In any case, I've read lots of reviews about the NEC at AVS and time and time again from people who've had the pleasure to view various other similar-priced units (including the Sony 12HT and the Sanyo plv70) the NEC STILL comes out on top...and these folks are all using 16x9 screens. If their impressions are that the NEC best any of the LCD and other similarly priced projectors of various makes and models (both LCD and DLP) then I'd place some weight in that.

Don't worry that it's "native" 4x3. You can use a 16x9 screen very successfully:

The NEC has a 16x9 mode where it basically blanks out the area above the 16x9 window and then, for all intents and purposes, acts just like a real 16x9 projector (even windowboxes 4x3 material in the 16x9 area). Light spill is a non-issue. Go to avscience.com, go to the forum for digital projectors (both of them...the one for projectors more than $5000 and less than $5000) and you'll have lots and lots to read about that will help guide your quest.

And of course, as another poster mentioned...it's great to get a chance to see these things in action before you take the plunge.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph

6. DaveLenhert

DaveLenhert Stunt Coordinator

DaViD Boulet-

newbie question here....I'm thinking of purchasing a projector but got VERY concerned when I took a 2-3ish year old projector home to watch a few DVDs (Sharp Vision3). I used Avia to attempt to calibrate the pj, it was HORRIBLE! The red push was MASSIVE!!! I tried to calibrate it the best as possible, but a few of my favorite movies were unwatchable (it almost took visual tweaking for EVERY movie). I enjoyed the movies on my little RCA 27" TV so much better because it is fairly well calibrated (with a slight but controllable red push). Is that filter on the Sony 10HT projector used to control red push or what??? Are all modern pj horrible to calibrate?

thanks for your info...

-dbl

7. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Hey Dave,

don't let that projector fool you. Is it a presentation-oriented machine? I've seen my share of BAD LCD and DLP projectors with horrid color (among other transgressions).

Trust me. the color fidelity of (most of) the Home-theater oriented machines is stunning. The HD1 machines from last year were already very good in this regard. The infocus 7200 I saw the other night had colors as rich, saturated, and true as one could imagine. Reds were able to acheive the pure apple-red hue and you could see all variations of hue in visuals of things like a red sweater or carpet. Just amazing. From what I hear, the NEC 1000 is very much to be described the same way by all those who have seen it.

Also, the HT oriented machines give you more flexibility to adjust these parameters than most of their presentation counterparts.

BTW, the filter for the Sony 10 HT was to help it produce deeper black levels...it's not intended to alter the color palette of the machine.

Where are you located? Does anybody have any of the new HD2 projectors on display for you to preview and play with? I promise you'll be amazed.

8. DaveLenhert

DaveLenhert Stunt Coordinator

David-

Yeah it was an old LCD for presentations that was in our confrence room. I'm going to bribe the tech and see if i can "use" the new one to check it out....

There are several dealers in the area that I'll go look at this weekend. Bit I have what i would classify as strange requirements for a pj, so I don't know if they will actually work for me. Due to room size constraints and the fact I don't want to run the screen at insane sizes (THX standards, etc) For the time being, I have made a custom screen that is 2:1 (72"x36") and want to scale the particular DVD or TV so it maximizes the screen area. I found that the 36" height very nice for TV shows and the 72" is great for the wide screen material. However, the pj that I borrowed, couldn't shrink the material small enough to fit the 4:3 material in the 36" without moving it in (12'-15' distances). D othe new projectors have a wider range of zoom?

-dbl

9. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

What you'll need to do (with or without an anamorphic lens attachement to stretch your pictures for widescreen movies) if you want a constant height set-up like you're thinking is use a PC with a DVD rom drive to scale and size all your images so the projector can just display what it's being fed. Projectors usually have enough zoom or scaling ability built-in to handle standard 16x9 or 4x3 screen aspect ratios...but anything fancier like constant height and you should go HTPC to get everything shaped right before it gets to your projector (then you feed it to your PJ already scaled to the native resolution). In other words, the solution is to electronically resize the image vs trying to physically "zoom" it or shrink it by moving the pj.
    Check out AVscience. There's a whole forum for HTPC that talks about all this stuff. And no...your idea is really a cool one. Whatever size works for you is great...and constant height aspect ratios certainly is the most "theater like" way to go.
    dave [​IMG]