What's new

Sonus Faber Speakers (2 Viewers)

MarkO

Second Unit
They are overpriced in the states, but they draw you in with their beauty and distinctive sound. I love mine.

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Some say not the best for home theater, due to their inability to handle high volume. However, they are quite capable of giving you great theater sound, with sub support, and driving them within reason.

Myself, I run 7 of them- Sonus faber Concerto Grand Piano mains on Sedementary stones, Solo center, Concerto sides, and concertino rears. Quite a seamless and beautiful soundstage, IMO. I do overpower my mains, at 250 watts, when they are rated 150, so I cannot speak as to driving them full out, as some might do with a more closely rated amp to the speakers. But mine generate great theater, and even better music.

Sonus faber are known for their sweet mid-range, artistic beauty, and instrumentation qualities. Sonus faber says, you want a speaker to sound like a speaker, build it like a musical instrument. tuned cabinets, contoured designs, and of course, quality drivers.

Lex

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew,

SF generally have a warm midrange and slightly rolled off HF... IMHO, they are much too overpriced in the US (for example, the Grand Piano's cost about US$1000 less here in Australia). Of course, the build quality is superb, but the sound *is* uniqiue, so audition it and a number of competing speakers first.

Cheers,

Mike

Arnel Enero

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all!

Well, it's the MANY positive comments on Sonus Faber, both on the Internet and print, that have always kept me from going the other way towards my other two favorites (B&W N800 series and MartinLogan)... and makes me keep my SF Concertino Home.

But up til now I'm not yet sure what's the "sound" for me (my taste, that is). I appreciate Sonus Faber's musicality, but I also know that it's not giving me the crisp but sweet treble details, superb airiness and the almost-neutral/characterless tonal balance of "monitors" like B&W N805 and Revel M20... and it doesn't give me the big, reverberant ambience of cinema (due to the Sonus' dark treble), something I experience with my B&W CDM 1NT (yes, I own both SF and B&W, and still choosing which one should go!)

So, Andrew, I suggest you listen to the Sonus Faber and then compare them with other brands that give you a totally different sound (B&W, MartinLogan, Revel). Then, tell us which one you like.

Andrew Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I will definitely go and try to audition them. I mainly asked because they are incredible looking, even in pictures, and i was curious as to if the price reflected the build quality, or the actual sound. I can't remember the model i saw, but it was going for around 2000 for a pair. i do know they were bookshelf sized.

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
Certainly SF is priced *much* higher in the US (US$2000 for Concertos?!?!) compared to other countries, as are many of the products imported by Sumiko (REL etc.). Of course, depending on your tastes, they can still represent the best option at a given price. The thing is to audition a thorough range of speakers.

Cheers,

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks