Sonus Faber Concertino and Concerto

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DonJ, Jan 12, 2003.

1. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

Has any one had the chance to listen to these speakers.

2. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Yes, what do you want to know.

3. Josh Wolfman

Josh Wolfman Stunt Coordinator

I use the concertinos as my rears and the grand pianos for the front. Excellent midrange...first order xover with smooth highs ( a little laid back). Won't play as loud as some other speakers but it will be hard to find this quality of sound and workmanship.

4. Tim Ranger

Tim Ranger Stunt Coordinator

I owned Concertos for quite awhile. Very fine, musical speaker. If you want a very good alternate, see if you can find a used pair of ACI Sapphire III LE. They replaced my Concertos. Way better in terms of dynamics and overall transparency. The new Sapphire looks like it will be a winner as well although I don't think they'll be shipping for a couple of weeks yet.

5. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

I would like to know what listeners and owners think. I build a 2 channel system and they are on my short list.

Thank you for your responses so far.

6. AndrewA

AndrewA Stunt Coordinator

I own the concertino for use in my secondary system, mostly for my audio/stereo use and regular tv viewing. I love the range and softness of the speakers, quite musical. As already mentioned the midtrange is good. Not much to complain about, and a lot to like.

7. larry crimmins

I have the Concertino Homes as my fronts and the Solo Home as my center channel in a small room with an Arcam AVR 200 and as others have indicated these speakers are very musical. They are not clinical sounding and lack the sometimes annoying edge of a metal tweeter.
    I use a sub (Monitor Audio ASW110) to flesh out the lower end but these speakers, though bookshelf in size have a wonderful upper bass into the 50 hertz region.
    They need good stands, the factory stands while pricey are things of beauty. They also need to be off the walls at least 3 ft in my experience to image properly.
    At list $1095 and $450 for the factory stands they are IMO entry level high end. They need good electronics but not necessarily a hugely powerful amp. They reveal poor speaker wire and interconnects for what they are.

8. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Don,

If you like the Concertino's you may want to seek out the now discontinued Signum on the used market.

I have the Concertos and the Signums. The Concertos have a more full sound with the bigger woofer but the Signums have more detail and clarity. Another suggestion is to listen to the Polk LSi9.

Gil

9. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

Larry,

That's quite an expensive price, here in Australia you can get a pair of Concertino's for almost half that price.

10. larry crimmins

The price in the US of Sonus Faber, Vienna Acoustics and some other line which I have forgotten but it could be REL is determined pretty strictly by Sumiko, the US rep.
    It is very difficult to find discounts off the MSRP for these lines. Best bet is to check Audiogon where you occasionally find a used pair for less.

11. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

I was actually looking at a set with the stands and Rel sub for 2800.00 but there sold [​IMG]