Sont pulls entire ES receiver line

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by David Michael, Apr 2, 2004.

1. David Michael

Just heard from a friend @high end audio video store sony asked for the entire stock of es receivers back for recall.Anyone know why?

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

The power supply is too close to the polyimide PCB which can catch fire from heat during explosive scenes, causing the receiver to explode with the scene...Talk about live action....[​IMG] J/K

BTW who is Steve? Seems like he knows everything since he was mentioned somewhere else as the know all guy.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The digital ones only, or all of them?

4. Robert Todd

Robert Todd Agent

"It's a Sony"

5. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

It's Me I guess! Im not a fan of sony or H/K and will voice my views on a regular basis why. I had a bunch of sony gear go south on me so I am not partial.

6. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Personally, out of the numerous receivers that have been in and out of my system over the years, I've had several Sony ES and H/K receivers and they all served me well - they never "went south" on me. When "voicing your views" takes the form of trolling, bashing, and thread crashing, most likely you'll find yourself being shot down like a turkey before Thanksgiving...so be careful.

7. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Exactly.

My experience with Sony isn't so good as far as their normal line. I've had an ES receiver and CD changer for a # of years w/o an issue. The only issue my friend has had with his was that remote(the touchscreen with problems) otherwise it ran fine. I wonder how many poor opinions of Sony have been developed because of them purchasing the cheap line.

8. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I thought the Sony recall happened about 6 months ago - right as the new ES receivers were getting into the supply chain. Now, there's another recall? I guess I'd be a little skeptical of this information at the moment until more proof is provided.

It seems like so many "opinions" get exchanged in audio shops, I wonder if it's just a method of swaying a purchaser.

With that being said, I wish I could put my former Sony STR-DA4ES back on the shelf and give it a spin. It was very, very nicely made and sounded oh so sweet. Ironically, I've even seen a few STR-DA2ES receivers on the market for nearly the price that the 4ES was being cleared out a few months back.

Oh, and one more comment on the potential recall. Maybe Sony realized that the sales of the silver gear was not doing so hot so the recall was issued to spray paint the fronts of the receivers black in order to improve the sales situation. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

It doesn't matter, since the post about him was deleted.

There are two simple guidelines for dealing with trolls and thread-crashers:
    1. Report the post to a moderator; and
    2. DON'T REPLY! Replying to a thread-crasher simply rewards their effort. The worst thing you can do to a troll is ignore them.[/list=1]
      We now return to the topic at hand.

M.

10. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

To avoid the possible aggrevation, I woldn't advise anyone to purchase a DA3000/5000 right now. For those who have already made a buy, you can rest assured that Sony will be taking care of you for the next 5yrs if required. BTW- the stories of homes ablaze due to Sony receivers pop-up about every two years on average.

11. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Without naming a particular brand, I have to say that anyone who thinks that all brands of components are built with the same quality is living in a fantasy world.

LJ

12. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

I purchased 2 sony es series car audio units...both crapped out. now i have heard that the es series home audio is good, but they left a bad taste in my mouth!

I should elaborate. they said when I bought these units that they had a 3 year warranty, but when I went to claim on that warranty, they never honored it saying that they stopped honoring them. I was like can't you do anything for me? they said no...so no sony stuff in my house ever again!