Son's HLP6163w Help!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Steve^S, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Steve^S

Steve^S Stunt Coordinator

Mostly I just hang out here and read what I can trying to make some sense but now we need some guidance. Son just bought the Samsung and is having video problems. Just got it set up and connected to dish network. Picture is less than good on sd. There is a shadow and dancing multi colored pixels in white areas. He tried svideo from the box (522) to tv and then from box to receiver to tv. Through the receiver seemed a little better but still not good. The 522 does not have component video. Would it be significantly better on sd material? When he tried a dvd, still svideo, the picture was great. Any ideas or suggestions.
    Thanks
    Steve

2. John S

John S Producer

Dish network, has a pretty bad rep on sd material on larger HDTV's. I would think component video 480p SD would help some, but bad source is bad source, and larger HDTV's will show every imperfection in every source.

3. Steve^S

Steve^S Stunt Coordinator

Thanks John. Strange that you say dish has a "bad rep" on sd. What I have read and people that I talk to(Lubbock, Tx) say it is better than cable(cox). HD better get here quick if this is the best we can get on sd. Don't know how they can continue to sell big screen if this is it.

Worked on the set last night with Avia and managed to get a little better performance but still soft. Olympic track and field was ok when there were tight shots but on the wide views everything was very soft like out of focus. Would never be able to watch a football game this way. Checked out Letterman and ok, then hbo movie. HBO was the best of the bunch. The svideo cable he is using is a cheap cable sent with computer hard drives. Could this be part of the problem? Satellite receiver is showing over 100% signal so I'm thinking that the signal is getting to the box but falling short from box to tv. Does that make sense? Sears here is running Dish so will go by there and check out their picture on some of the wide screens. So far he is not very happy but still willing to give it some time and try to work it out. Any suggestions for what to try next. Thanks!
    Steve