Sons and Daughters (ABC)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by EricSchulz, Mar 8, 2006.

1. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I can't BELIEVE that no one has started a thread on this show! I watched the first two episodes (back-to-back) last night and loved them! Surprisingly, it is very "Arrested Development" in tone (considering that show has failed to click with a big audience). It's a little more reality based than "AD" but still delivered some big laughs.

2. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I watched the first 10 minutes and bailed. And I'm a huge fan of Arrested.

3. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I should add...based on the 10 minutes I saw, I thought it had more of a 'Malcolm In The Middle' feel than an 'Arrested Development' feel. And I was never a fan of 'Malcolm...'

4. BrianV

BrianV Stunt Coordinator

I haven't seen this show yet, but everything I read about it compares it to AD. I love AD, and if this show is even half as good I'll be entertained.

I can't help feeling a little wary of all the comparisons, though. It sounds like they're trying really hard to say, "look, we're smart!" In my experience that usually indicates the opposite.

5. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    Not bad, but no AD either.

Does everybody in the cast have blue eyes?

Rob

6. Rakesh.S

Rakesh.S Second Unit

it was okay..the laughs were far and few between.

If this is how AD was, I'm glad I never watched that show.

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Count me in as another big fan. It's very different from Arrested Development in that this is in many ways a very average sort of family going through very average sort of problems. It's similar in the way the personalities bounced off each other in hilarious ways. I think dramatically, it cuts a bit deeper than Arrested but I think Arrested has much more complicated and consistent humor. The littlest kids mix together, but everyone from the mouthy 13-year-old on up are great characters. Unless it takes a leap forward, I doubt I'll be buying the DVDs, but it's definitely worth setting aside an hour each week for.

8. Adam Lenhardt

The second episode tonight was one of the best half-hours of television I've seen in a long while.

9. Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H Supporting Actor

I can't believe this show made to air. Can't stand it is an understatement. But then again there are few shows I like on network TV and most are not comedies. It just goes to show how great the truly great ones were like Cheers, Seinfield, Frasier, etc. back in the day. All the new stuff (i.e. Joey and others) I just can't stand.

10. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

It's no AD by far.

This is just bad programming with a reality TV angle. After the first showing, I had to cancel the series recording because I just found it to be not funny at all. I couldn't stand the characters.

I cannot compare AD to this show at all because it's not that good.

11. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    The pilot was a bit shaky (ie not all that funny). But the subsequent eps have been pretty hilarious. I'm going to keep watching. It's not AD, not by a long shot. I can see how they were inspired by it, though. I love the pop culture references Cameron drops.

There are 4 things about this show that distract me:

1) Gillian Vigman looks so much like Debra Messing she could be her sister. For some reason, it's distracting.

2) Fred Goss looks like Steve Carrell's sad sack brother.

3) Cameron's son Henry is played by Freddie Crane. It weird to see him grown up.

4) The NBC Universal logo after the credits. The show is on ABC.

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I've seen all 4 episodes, and it's just mediocre, or hasn't found its footing. It should be called "Stupid things my relatives do to embarrass the family".

13. Adam Lenhardt

The second episode tonight (Tuesday) was particularly great. It balanced some great emotional weight in with the gags. I've come to really, really like this show and it's characters. I guess I'm in the minority.

14. Adrian D

Adrian D Stunt Coordinator

I actually like this show. One of the few that I'll schedule myself to watch.

15. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

First couple of episodes were interesting, but no way to survive an hour already containing, House, The Unit, Scrubs, and the rerun [thankfully] of Veronica Mars I missed from the prior cramped Wednesday, not in my house.

16. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    This show kind of grew on me. I hope we get to see the unaired 11th episode, "Paige Returns". I also wouldn't mind a renewal for next year even though I don't expect it.

Rob

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

"The Return of Merv" episode actually did have some LOL spots for me (mainly when Cameron and his sister would push each other around).