Sonotube, where to get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Han, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Han

Han Second Unit

At this point in the day, I can't run the search here, so I apologize if this question's been asked many times before.
    Is there an easy place to get a sonotube? Preferably 18-24" in diameter types.
    I live in Northern Virginia, and typical big stores like Home Depot and Lowes don't seem to have that type. I saw some tubes at Home Depot of a different brand, but I wasn't sure if it'd be a good idea to get a non-sonotube brand tube. Is there a place online that's easy to order from, or do any DC area people know of a place around to buy from?
    Thanks.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

3. Scott M

Scott M Agent

I got my 18" tube from a place in Sterling. I don't have the number here and I can't remember the name(it's early) but I'll dig it up when I get home and post it. I don't know where Kingstowne is but Sterling is near Dulles. Your best bet is to call Sonoco(the manufacturer) and they can give you a dealer close by, they were very helpful and actually gave me 3 dealers and I chose the closest one...here's the number and web site:
    www.sonoco.com (look under industrial products)
    or just call to talk to someone about finding a dealer 1-888-875-8754
    My 12ft section of 18" dia was $80. I used 4ft and sold the remaining 8ft to a guy who lives close by just a few weeks ago.
    Have fun and it's worth it!
    ------------------
    -scott

4. Han

Han Second Unit

Thanks Scott. I'll look forward to that post.
    I'll only live in Kingstowne for about a month longer (it's near Springfield Mall). I actually work in Reston and will move to Sterling pretty soon, so knowing of a place in Sterling would be perfect.

5. Scott M

Scott M Agent

I just remembered it's Sheetz Wholesale in Sterling, VA. I'll have to see if I still have the number but if not you can get it from the Yellow pages or information. They have all kinds of sizes, I saw everything from 12" to 36" all in 12ft lengths. Man I must be getting old it took me a few hours [​IMG].
    ------------------
    -scott

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

for what its worth there's nothing special about the sonotube brand name any clone should work just as well providing its not paper thin
    ------------------
    http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

7. Scott M

Scott M Agent

That is true.
    I would say that I personally have found that Sonotube is very high quality, i.e. very round where as some of the clones are more oval shape, making it diffcult to fit caps in. And the stuff that Home Depot sells(Quicktube?)is about 1/8" thick where as Sonotube is 1/4".
    Of course it generally cost a heck of alot more than the clones as well so I guess like everything else in life it's a trade off.
    BTW Andrew, (without doing any research)how much are those Maggies? I've been looking at some used ML, I'm really considering the flat panel speakers.
    ------------------
    -scott

8. Han

Han Second Unit

So I finally got my tube. First I checked out Cubicon, but their closest dealer was in Pennsylvania, and it'd cost a lot to ship one cylinder. Then I called Sonoco and got the address for the Vienna, VA Sheets Wholesale dealer which is pretty close to my work. Got there, they didn't have any. Then went to the Sterling, VA site which is almost the same distance from Reston and Vienna, and they had a yard full of these things! Bought one 18" diameter cylinder for around $80, and drove to the yard to find that it's a whopping 12 feet tall like you said, Scott!!!
    After a little running around with a couple of guys that work there, they found a hand saw, and one of them cut it up for me into three pieces. It still barely fit into my little Rav4, but overall, my impression of those guys working there is that they're really good guys. Now the building begins...

9. chad s

chad s Auditioning

Hey, I was wondering if you can give me the info on that place. I live in Dumfries, little ways out of DC. Id like to get some sono too. Probaly not for another few months, budget allowing...
    thanks

10. Han

Han Second Unit

I think this is it...
    Sheets Wholesale
    22293 Shaw Rd.
    Sterling, VA
    (703) 430-0116

11. Scott M

Scott M Agent

I'm glad I could help. I forgot about Vienna because they didn't have the 18" that I was looking for at the time.
    I put the whole 12' section on top of my Jetta with no problems [​IMG].
    ------------------
    -scott

12. chad s

chad s Auditioning

Han,
    thanks for the info
    chad