sonotube: what's the smallest diameter you can buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andres Munoz, Feb 27, 2001.

1. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

Would they come as small as 6,7 or 8 inches in diameter?
    Obviously, this wouldn't be for a subwoofer but for a 6.5" driver.
    Any info would be deeply appreciated.
    ------------------
    Andres
    http://home.earthlink.net/~coolvirus/

2. Fred Seger

Fred Seger Stunt Coordinator

I think the smallest Sonotube makes is 8". Quikrete(which Lowe's carries) or other companies might make smaller though.

3. Seungsoo Hwang

Seungsoo Hwang Stunt Coordinator

Ive found that those 8" quikrete tubes vary GREATLY in size. I measured several pieces at the local home depot and found that the 8" version actually ranged from 6.5~10" in diameter! Maybe you will find such irregularities to be in your favor. 6.5" driver..computer sub?

4. Andres Munoz

So Home Depot does carry them? I guess I'll have to take a trip down there.
    Seungsoo, no it's not for a computer sub. It's for my car stereo. Speakers position in the kick pannels give the best imaging and I've always wanted to try my speakers there instead of the doors. But the company that makes kick pannel enclosures (called QPods) don't make them for my car and to have it custom built with fiberglass by professional installers is pretty expensive.
    So I just got this crazy idea of trying to build the enclosures myself using sonotube. Since the speakers are 6.5", I need a very small diameter.
    Thanks for the info.
    ------------------
    Andres
    http://home.earthlink.net/~coolvirus/

5. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Andres,
    Most interesting your name is very close in spelling to a company I worked for....
    ANDREWS CONCRETE CONST.INC.
    I spent 15 years in concrete and used more SONO tube than I care to remember.
    Standard sizes range fro 8" to 24"!
    Also sizes will vary but the SONO brand seems to have the smallest variences in dimensions!!!
    Your best bet is to follow your local yellow-pages to the nearest LARGE CITY to CONCRETE SUPPLIES-----
    Many LARGE concrete equipment suppliers carry all sizes in stock and can special order sizes that are not carried. SPECIAL ORDER...
    As far as cost from a supplier for a special ordered size, it will be substanital. I recommend staying with STANDARD built and carried sizes.
    8"to 24" Check around as prices will vary widely!!!!
    The SONO brand is the STRONGEST as I have used all them know to man, but strength for what we do here is not an issue. They all will perform well for speaker design.
    Question to all sono builders?
    Why do you peel the inner plastic waxy lineing. As the will keep moisture from causeing premuture ageing of the compressed cardboard. Something that takes time but in humid climates would make a difference as the density would contine to come down. Painting will help but still not as good a barrier as the supplied plastic waxy barrier.
    All tubes are not created equal as many Im sure have found and the tubes sometimes have been setting for as much as years. Moveing from supplier to supplier and takeing a beating. Pay atention to the tube as if contact with water has been made and dried later it has swelled and is not nearly as strong as new. Have found this out the hard way, owener saveing a buck, buying older tubes and later watching it explode with 5 yards of concrete in it. Very not cool! These extreeeeems will not be found in speaker building but a nice tube is a nice tube! Looks better and is eaiser to work with.
    Dont know if any know it, but there are precast tubes avaiable. In cast iron, clay, polystyreen, and concrete in dimension from 6" to 12-feet in diamater. I went back to operating heavy equipment 5 years ago, bulldozers and other heavy earth moving machines and think about hauling some of the different pipe home and expermenting with them in different sub designs in my off months. Im just so busy in the summer and work so many hours 75 to 85 a week and do this away from home that I just run out
    of energy! I know im not the only one that thinks about this, you guys drive buy big construction sites and see the different pipe all the time. Formans of jobs have lots of leftover pieces that the will give you FREE. So dont be afraid to ask. Good luck most of it is very heavy. [​IMG]
    So yada yada yada, anyway hope this helps you Andres.
    ------------------
    Smoothe

6. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Jack,
    I dont know who cracks me up more you or Greg M.
    Yes indeed its heavy. The concrete pre-cast also has wire mesh inside it. The sizes that I anyway would be interested in 16" precast sewer special kind closed cell rare, pipe 8-feet long wieghs aprox 500lbs. Wewww
    Lately my intrest have been peeked in this high presure polystyreen that I've been around. This stuff is unreal. Strong, i mean srong. Tuff stuff used mostly for carrying methyen gas off large garabage dumps and piped to General Motors-plants to burn as fuel!
    Incrediable densty..
    The largest I have seen is 12" and very expensive. They put it together by fuseing it. A 5 million dollar machine onsite lowered into the hole and both ends are heated and fused together. Pretty cool stuff. And what the coolest of all, is its light, tuff, and easy to work with.
    Something you wont see a lot of, as used seldom, as only certian types of jobs call for it as its pretty new stuff and so expesive.
    Waiting for some 16" to appear as this will come home with me for sure. Dont now if its even made.
    ------------------
    Smoothe

7. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

8. Dustin Haug

Dustin Haug Agent

Hey Andres, custom kickpanels aren't that hard to do. First lay some plastic over the kickpanel area, then lay fiberglass mat in the corner and resin over it. Basically you want to make a mold of the corner. Then all you really need is to make a baffle for the driver, then place it at the angle that you like (make sure driver will fit) and glass the baffle to the corner piece you made.
    Or if fiberglass scares you, you can make the baffle then just use bondo to "blend" it into the corner. This is very easy, but the downside is that you generally don't get a sealed kickpanel. They do sound good though. You can make a set of these in less than 2 hours. Fiberglass ones take considerably more time.
    ------------------
    My DIY sub page

9. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

>...the weight is another issue entirely.
    ====
    That's what handtrucks are for. [​IMG]
    All the large cabs I've built have industrial strength casters/hand rails on the back so I can tilt them back and roll them around.
    Born lazy and had a relapse,
    GM
    ------------------
    Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

10. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Greg M,
    I would have figured you for a, steel I-beam floor joist reinforceing, followed with accoustic treatment of course along with the garaged (closet converted) natural gas powered fork lift. [​IMG]
    Getty up-----
    No sence in limiting our ideas...
    ------------------
    Smoothe

11. Andres Munoz