What's new

Sonotube wax ???? (1 Viewer)

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Even if he had the PCM setting, the sub out should operate.

I can't get the 7200 pdf to load so am looking at the 7300. It talks about 2 front panel switches One is a surround mode group selector another is surround mode selector. If your unit has these switches what are they set to?

Also in the trouble shooting section it talks about procedure for processor reset. I'd do that and then start over using the factory default settings, just in case you've accidently made some settings are causing the problem.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was more concerned with the surround channels than the sub-out for the time being (w/r/t PCM vs. bitstream from a DVD).

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Hey guys......once again, I manage to surprise myself
at how FREKIN STOOPID I AM!!!:b

I have surround & surround back options on my speaker set-up & when I was trying to set my XO for my LFE out I had turned off the ones I am using & turned on the others.

Everything is peachy now thanks to Stephanie from OneCall where I bought the receiver from. I have to actually talk to somebody to get this stuff sorted out, & this is the second time they have come to my rescue!!

Thanks Thomas, Patrick, Richard, Brian & all for going the extra mile to help out the idiot on the board...:emoji_thumbsup:

Chris Keen

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'm glad you got it worked out - shortbus.

:D :D :D

Don't feel bad, for a while I couldn't figure out why my DTS encoded discs sounded like poopie compared to DD, but I figured out that it was the way I had my DVD player set up, and I was sending the wrong type of signal for DTS encoded tracks to my Marantz receiver. Once I figured it out, I felt like a boob. It's all part of the learning curve. :angry:

Richard_M

Second Unit
Well done Cam...

Think of the positives, at least you asked and at the end of the day found and corrected the problem.

Now how does the sub sound?

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

I have not messed with it again yet, I am going to email
Tom R. per Thomas' suggestion about the amp.

I cant imagine needing to have the amp gain turned all the way up to gat any volume, even if it is a BP1503....:frowning:

I might jack with it tonight a little bit but the GF gets
perturbed when I interfere with the TV watchin, lol....

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Well I started playing my sine waves beginning at
10Hz which read an uncorrected 98db, and got to 12Hz which read 96db before I remembered I had not glued/sealed the port down yet.. :b

The silicone is now drying....:D

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Cam,

In most cases it's recommended to have a pro amp's gain set to maximum. Don't think of it as a volume setting, but as setting the input signal to it's maximum. I have a Crown K2 and the input is set about 3/4 of the way up. From there I adjust the sub out on my receiver to calibrate my sub.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Thanks Brian......

Well, after setting the sub amp to match the speakers all at reference level, the amp gain is one mark past 1/2 way, this is with the LFE out at "0".

If I were to move it to 3/4 of the way, I would have to set the LFE out at like -3 or -4.

Is this what you would recomend?

Tom Rosback

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Cam,
This is in response to your e-mail. I think these may have already been covered in the thread, so excuse me if I am repeating anything.

Amp Setup:
Signal into Channel 1
IF XLR, wire shield of cable to Pins 1,3, center conductor to Pin 2.
IF 1/4 inch phone, wire center conductor to Tip, shield to ring and sleeve (stereo) or sleeve (mono).

Clip limiters OFF
Bridge Mode ON (both switches)

Parallel Inputs OFF (both switches) (doesn't really matter, OFF/ON just be consistent)

Low Cut Filters OFF

Channel 1 Gain as required, probably close to fully CW.
Channel 2 Gain fully CCW.

Speaker output between both RED outputs.

The Behringer EP-2500 generally has enough input sensitivity (1.2 Vrms at max gain)to be driven to full output with most receivers.

You should easily be able to drive a BP 1503 to its excursion limit at low frequencies.

Hope this helps.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Most Excellent.......thanks Tom!

Anybody.....what is the best way to make the short
1'-2' runs between receiver to BFD to pro amp?
I currently have like a 12' cable coiled up to make these connections.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
With my EP2500 at max gain, volume set to reference level & NO change to the LFE out VS my Tempest at a 5db lower volume setting, the new sub can't even come close......what could be the problem???

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Unless the power amp amp itself is defective; the problem as before, is that there's some setting, or setup, or connection that's not right.

BTW; volume set to 'reference level' means nothing in the real world, turn it up.

Also double check your solder joints and connections. A cold solder joint can be problematic.

Your receiver has pre-amp output I believe. Run a cable from a pre-out to the EP2500 and to the sub. See if the sub runs with a fullrange signal. Or by-pass the plate amp and put the tempest in the system powered off the 2500.

One solves these types of problems by a process of elimination.

I trust that your RCA to 1/4" adapters are MONO and not stereo

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Well, I hooked up the Tempest to the EP2500 & at max
gain it sounds about the same as the plate amp.

EDIT: shouldnt it be just about blowing up the Tempest
running that kind of power through it, but it didnt???

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
With all the power that the EP2500 has it should be MUCH, MUCH, Much, louder than the plate amp.

Check the wiring from the input plate going to the speaker. Also make sure that bare wires aren't touching the frame of the speaker. If it will fit in the hole as a last resort remove the Tempest and the 1503 in the box. See what happens.

Finally, this kind of trouble shooting is almost impossible online. Don't you know anyone locally that has some understanding of basic audio?

A Tempest can handle 750 watts. But I don't think your receiver is sending enough output to the EP2500.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
These statements make no sense, either the 1503 has enough output or it doesn't. If it doesn't adjust the output level accordingly. The 1503 is a completely different kind of driver from the Tempest. You need to adjust the sub output level from the receiver settings to get the volume level you want. I expect that the 1503 will take a higher output level from the receiver.

With that amp and a 1503 you have enough power and driver to blow down the house, IF you get the receiver settings correct, and correctly built the sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks