What's new

Sonotube wax ???? (1 Viewer)

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

Sorry, I was not clear....what do I use for the crossover, not where does it go?

For $3 what do I get, just the connector.....then what, do I attach it to speaker wire???

I am trying to figure out how to get from my amp to my sub, & also how to knock out the high end going to the sub. What is the best way....i have no clue what I am doing. The amp has those connectors & binding posts.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
The LFE (low frequency output) on the back of a receiver or pre/pro is a crossover for the sub.

Yes and yes

Or just use the binding posts, your choice.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

Thanks Thomas, I was wondering about this. In the manual it
sounds as though this is "semi" dangerous due to shock factor or something.

How would I create a better "cable" to do this, along the lines of a Monster cable?

I had been looking for an adapter to change it to an
RCA connector but could not find one.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Change what to an RCA? SpeakOn? RCA's aren't designed to handle the output power from the amp. So buy some Speakon connectors or just use the regular binding posts and make sure the wires don't touch each other

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Great Thomas.......:D

You are finally learning how to idiot proof your replies
to me, lmao!!

Seriously, I had never even heard of a "pro" amp much less seen one before I ordered this and it showed up on my doorstep.

Now, how do I prevent 80-100Hz on up from going to the sub?? This might be a stupid question, but I only know how to cut back "specific" freq. with the BFD, not from a certain point on up.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Okay I've answered this 3 times now. Receivers and pre-pros have a LFE (low frequency energy) output (sometimes it's called a sub out). This means that only frequencies below 80Hz (or whatever the factory settings are) are sent from that output.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Well, here I go showing my ignorance (again). I did not realize it was already set that low . I thought I had to have one set because I have one on my plate amp for my Tempest. Is the one on the plate amp there in the event it is not getting its signal from an LFE?

How does one go about finding the factory setting in order to see where his mains should be set.

I've got an HK AVR7200.

Thanks

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Thomas,

I went back & re-read my owners manual. I have
my mains & center set at 60Hz & surrounds at & 80Hz for their crossover point. After re-reading the manualI am interpret it to say that the receiver automatically adjusts what comes out of the sub to coincide whith what I have the other speakers set at...ie, the mains & center are set at 60Hz, so what is below that is cut from them & is sent to the sub, the surrounds are set to 80Hz & everything below that is cut from them & sent to the sub, does this sound correct or even possible???

This dang thing is smarter than me...(but thats not saying much, lol).

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
The speaker up info starts with page 21 of the owners manual

80Hz is the XO point for THX standard LFE outputs

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
To digress a bit....
The place where I buy my harwood from has a plannar and will run the boards through it for a small fee. You may want to check your local places as well. If they dont you may want to check into any local cabinet shops as well as they might for a small fee too.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

My factory default is set at 100Hz, but I have available settings of 40Hz, 60Kz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz & 200Hz.

Are you saying I should set the XO point for my
speakers at 80Hz & that will set my LFE at 80Hz also?

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

I bought 1x12 Oak from HD & edge glued, then sanded it.
Actaully a very painless process & worked really well, although I had considered looking for a cabinet shop to do it for me...:)

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Most people use 80Hz as their XO point since that's the THX standard. It also allows less smearing of the stereo image if the sub isn't exactly centered between the mains

One chooses the 'size' of the mains usually on based on the what size speakers are in them.

The normal thing that one does in this situation is experiment with the settings to see what sounds best.

Delay has nothing to do with the sub or the XO point for the mains. The delay setting is designed to compensate for any differences in physical distance (spacing) between the speaker placement and the listening position.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Thanks Thomas, yep I know what the delay is for, just used that as a stopping point.

So, kinda back to my question....I can set the XO for my mains (I know what they are good to), does my receiver automatically set the LFE crossover due to what I set my mains at???

Richard_M

Second Unit
Cam...

In general an accepted practice is to set the Xover for the mains 1 Octave above their F3 point, but this does not always have the best in room response, so a little experimentation is required.

Now regarding the sub and your pre/pro...

If the mains are set to small, you have 2x channels going to your sub, 1x is the LFE channel and the other is the redirected bass from your other speakers.

So the redirected bass is a low pass set by the xover you use in the pre/pro, whereas the LFE channel can have information up to 120Hz according to DD.

Generally the xover on the sub is bypassed, or turned up to max, and let the pre/pro handle the bass management.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
I really dont have a clue what you just stated Richard, sorry...:b

My sonosub has no XO, neither does my pro amp (I dont know what you mean by "pre", hell I dont even know why iyts called a "pro" amp). Are you saying set my mains to small & adjust their XO & leave it at that???

Richard_M

Second Unit
Sorry Cam...

Pre = preamp (as used with a power amp)
Pro = processor (i.e. HT receiver)

That you were using a processor with bass management capabilities, i.e. has dedicated sub out channel, if this is the case then that is all you will need. The processor will control the sub for you. If this is not the case then you will need to run an external unit to handle the bass management.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Thank you very much Richard, this question was just answered for meut...

The answer supposedely is yes, I appreciate your time & appologize for being so ignorant....this is all new to me.

Thank you as well, Thomas, as usual.....:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks