What's new

Sonotube Vs. Cube (1 Viewer)

Mark>Som

Auditioning
What are the pro's and con's to using a sonotube Vs. a MDF cube (some areas to compare are cost, sound, quality, tight sound, loose sound or any other category needed). I plan on using a 12" driver with a 250 watt plate amp. I will be using this setup for 90% home theater. Therefore, I want to go with a 4.0 CUFT design vented. I have read many things about both but, wanted to know if this is better to use a cylinder in lie of a cube. I thought the DIYers would know best.

I have a 46" widescreen, built into the wall, with two above spaces (both spaces are 16 inches wide by 24 inches tall) for DVD, VCR and associated shelving, ect...I was planning on placing the sub behind the T.V. and covering the back of the upper spaces with grill cloth (the areas behind the T.V. is 4 foot wide by 4 high and 23 inches deep). This would allow the sound to be heard and felt but not seen. However, I am not sure what affect this will have on the T.V.

Please help if you can.

Thanks in advance.

MS

Eric Eash

Second Unit
sonotube pros: no bracing needed, possibly cheaper than a box
sonotube cons: they are ugly, JMO.
MDF cube pros: more finishing options
MDF cube cons: can cost more, need bracing, will probably weigh more

as far as sound quality, ease of build, required tools, tightness, none of that will vary from one type to another, it's all in how you build it and what components you use. both require some woodworking skills and tools. either one would be able to fit behind your TV, but i don't think this would be optimal placement. i've also heard that subs that close to rear-projection TV's, if that is what yours is, will cause the plastic screen to rattle. also, you will lose some output power, and having all your electronics shaking from being that close to the sub might have some negative effects on pic quality and sound quality. good luck,

eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks