Sonotube sub

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by nic, May 9, 2005.

1. nic

nic Auditioning

I was wondering if pvc could be used in place of the cardboard sonotube. what are peoples opinions on this?

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

You'd have to have a pretty large diameter piece of tube. I'm not sure what the resonance frequency of pvc is either. That said, if you can find large diameter pvc then it would probably work just fine. Might want to post this over in the DIY section or have a moderator move it there.

3. nic

nic Auditioning

was not sure wether this should have been speakers or diy.. now i think about it, it should be diy.

thankyou for the reply, now i need to see which is easier to get, a 20" cardboard roll, or a 20" pvc pipe

4. John S

John S Producer

If the design calls for Sonotube, I wouldn't switch to PVC. The resonance of PVC is so radically different from Sonotube, I don't think the same design would work.

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The resonance won't affect the actual design. If the resonance is outside of the frequncy spectrum of the sub then you'll have no problems. If it's inside then you'll have lots of vibration problems. It's kindof a pass/fail type thing and won't play into how you actually design the sub. I know people have used PVC for small DIY speakers but i don't know of any pvc subs.

6. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

Unless you can find surplus/used 20" PVC, go with the cardboard sonotubes. PVC, particularly new, in that size will be wildly expensive. I've never had a problem with cardboard sonotubes - and I've made/use some extreme subwoofers. With my BP 1803's going at full-tilt, I can feel no resonsonces on the sides of the tubes.
    JP

7. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

8. nic

nic Auditioning

Thankyou all for you're replys. I did have my doubts about pvc but it would have be much easier to find over here, and not as far to travel. I don't really want to build one in pvc if it's going to be maybe or maybe not, so i think i will order a tempest and a length of sonotube. [​IMG]

9. John S

John S Producer

Sonotube is ubber cool stuff for audio applications.

PCV, well I really just don't know about it.