What's new

Sonotube questions (2 Viewers)

TimForman

Supporting Actor
It's similar to this concept. I have the driver firing downward with a 72"L x 14" D tube above it. 4" standoffs above a MDF plate as the support. Stuffed with about 6 lbs. of PolyFil per the 1 lb. per cubic foot ratio like this.

Jay_Garcia

Grip
Tim, maybe you can briefly explain a TL to me? What is a TL? :) I checked your links so I understand that it is a long "tube", but what are the differences/advantages over a traditional sonosub? Thanks!

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Briefly huh? I'll try. A TL is a transmission line design which is the most common application of the quarter wavelength design. These designs attempt to utilize quarter wavelength acoustic standing waves to reinforce the output of the driver. If that's left you scratching your head check out this website. Based on my experience converting my vented Shiva application I've found that the muddiness and lack of good low frequency has been corrected. I was disappointed the first time I test drove the Shiva. Now I'm fairly impressed. The disadvantage is that it's kinda big. Unless you find a way to bend the tube it's going to be pretty long. Other examples are some folded horn designs which can get a little complex. The biggest advantage other than the sound was the utter simplicity of the design. It just don't get no easier than this. Especially when I was able to use someone elses numbers.

Jay_Garcia

Grip
Well, HOLY COW! Where do I start?? THIS THING ROCKS!!! I finshed up some of the wiring this morning, put some Billy Joel in... and wow!!! The best part of it, is that I built it! I havent done any testing/tuning or anything but it sounds great as is!! Now I just need to do the cosmetic stuff - make it look nice! I want to thank all of you, especially Tim and Pat. Without you guys I dont think I would have gotten this done. Here are some pics for ya ---

Frank Mowry

Stunt Coordinator
Jay,
After my initial attempts at priming/painting my Shiva tube I said screw it and bought 3m adhesive spray and black box carpet from PE. Pretty easy to cut and easy to glue on and have looking nice. You could always use a different color carpet too and it's less messy than painting. The wax coating gave my paint problems and the small area I peeled the coating off of simply looked fuzzy and sucked up a lot of paint.

There are many examples of finishes on the sonotube projects page (which I'm sure you've already read 100 times).

Frank

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I found black indoor outdoor carpet remnant at Home Depot that worked great. Cost something like $10. You could find something close the same color as your carpet and it would blend right in. Higher WAF! Then sneak in a larger one the same color. She'll never notice. :D

Frank Mowry

Stunt Coordinator
I found a deadbolt on the door to my HT room works just as well! That and sound proofing = High HAF (husband acceptance factor).

Actually when we were shopping for houses, we agreed I get the basement and garage and she gets the rest of the house.

Works for me. :)

Frank

Jay_Garcia

Grip
Actually for $1.99 a yard, the wife found some black fabric to cover the tube... I still need to make a top for it though...

Dean-P

Stunt Coordinator
how do you wire these things up as they have two voice coils? I am a definite newbie at this...:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks