What's new

Sonotube questions (1 Viewer)

Jay_Garcia

Grip
I have been looking for sonotube locally around Tampa,FL and found a place called Tampa Tubes. The guy there was very helpful, and he said they have a 15" diameter tube which is 3/8" thick that they can cut to length. I asked what it was made of and he said "paper". Is this the sonotube stuff or something that is an acceptable substitution? I plan on trying a 15" dia by about 18" column for 54L volume. TIA.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Yeah, sonotube is made of paper. LOTS of paper wrapped up very tightly and glued to effectively become a single round piece of bass-producing loveliness. :D

Seriously, for normal people, sonotube is a cement form for making pillars of concrete for lamp posts, barriers, deck footings, etc. Obviously, if it can hold hundreds of pounds of cement, it can deal with the pressures of a sub-driver. It's made of paper because it's light, cheap, and can be easily torn from the cement once dried.

You've found the right stuff.

Any ideas on what driver you're going to use? FYI a 15" driver won't easily attach in a 15" sonotube.

JKS

Jay_Garcia

Grip
I plan on using the Shiva, sealed @ 54L internal volume stuffed with a little polyfill. Rough estimates are 15" diameter x ~25" total height (including 3" legs and 1.5" for top and bottom MDF caps). Hopefully this should sound great for audio and pretty decent for home theater. Any suggestions are definetly appreciated!!

Are the sonotubes normally 3/8" thick?

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Yes, "sonotube" is usually 3/8" thick but it can vary slightly. I'm curious as to why you choose the 54 L sealed enclosure. Small size? Tight bass for classical music? Sealed enclosures are great for music in most cases but may not give you the extension you'd like for movies.

Jay_Garcia

Grip
The 54L size is partly due to size constraints and also because we mostly listen to music, we maybe catch a movie once a week. I dont want to go over 24-25" in height as I am using the enclosure for two functions - 1) the sub & 2) end-table for the wife! ;)

TimForman

Supporting Actor
The end table look has a very high SAF. Keep in mind that subs will perform better sitting in a corner than right next to you. For some the performance is acceptable. For me it wasn't and I moved my "coffee table" sub into a corner. Experimenting with placement is something to keep in mind.

Jay_Garcia

Grip
Actually, the end table is in the corner - if this little ascii helps --- The sub is in between the couch and the love seat in the corner of the room (the 0). At least where I plan to have it anyways... I could always take a digital pic if that would help. Keep the suggestions coming!! Thanks!!

Couch

| L S
| o e
| v a
e t

-----
TV

Jay_Garcia

Grip
Ok, I can't get the little diagram to come out right, but just pretend the line for the love seat goes vertical down from the 0.

Jay_Garcia

Grip
Well, the largest diameter tube they went up to was 14", so I got some of that. Since I am now going to have to make my tube a little taller, I am wondering if I should make this ported while I am at it. I was thinking of doing a 2(qty.) 2" PVC ports, with a length of 17 1/4 " which would tune the box to 20hz. Does this sound like a good idea?

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Are you still going with the end table idea? Are you trying to have the ports and the driver down firing? What internal volume are you going for now?

Jay_Garcia

Grip
I was going to try and leave volume the same. Ports on top, driver down firing. It doesnt have to be a "functional" end table, just look like one :)

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I think you're going to want a higher volume enclosure for a vented application. If you want to leave it at 54 liter better stick to a sealed enclosure.

Jay_Garcia

Grip
Thanks Tim. Thats what I figured. Unfortunately I only have a limited space to work with, hence the low volume on the tube. Size, plus the W.A.F. ( Wife Acceptance Factor) is a big part too. :D

NathanH

Stunt Coordinator
Home Depot and Lowes in my area (Indiana) sell sonotubes made by Quickrete... I think the largest diameter was about 15" though...

Jay_Garcia

Grip
I called the local HD's in my area and they said the largest diameter they have is 12". I know I already bought the 14" dia. tube but I am going to continue my search around here locally to see if I can find something wider. If I can find 18" dia tube, then I can do the same height and get about ~88-89L.

Jay_Garcia

Grip
Ok, I was able to find sonotube locally here in Tampa,FL. Unfortunately I have to buy 12' length, they won't sell anything less than that - they also charge $5 per cut to cut it for you. For 18" diameter its $4.69/foot and for 22" its $5.50/foot. Do these seem like reasonable prices? Now I just need someone to go in with me on this sonotube! :D

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Jay,

Yeah, this sounds about right. I think I got my 24" sonotube for around 5.60/ft. here in Indianapolis, IN. The place I found did allow me to purchase a half tube, though (and they only charged me $1.00 per cut, IIRC). That tends to be common though, lots of people have had to buy 10-12' lengths of sonotube regardless of how much they need. You may want to shop around to see if anyplace else will sell a shorter length in your area though.

You might try the Local Home Theater Meets section here on the HTF to see if anybody in your area would go in with you for the full length, or, better yet, find somebody who's got 6' that they're trying to get rid of!

JKS

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Maybe I just got lucky and I'm in the opposite corner of the country but I was able to find Sonotube (yes the actual brand) any length I wanted on pre-order for about half the price you're quoting. Every area's different so maybe that's how it is in Tampa. I found mine at an independently owned lumber yard. Home Depot is probably not going to be the best source. Lumber yards and construction supply outfits will do better.

Jay_Garcia

Grip
Well, I just want to thank everyone for their input... I have officially started construction on my 54L Shiva sonosub as of friday. I ended up going with the Shiva and PE 250W amp. I also decided to just use my 14" diameter tub for the time being. I can always build another one later, right?? :D I should be receiving my amp on wednesday/thursday and the sub should be here friday. I'm hoping saturday will be my first day with new sound!! :) I'll let you guys know how it goes!

TimForman

Supporting Actor
The best part about Sonotube is it's easy to modify in addition to not breaking the bank. I recently changed my vented Shiva 'tube into a TL design. Only cost me $8 for the PolyFil. Keep us informed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks