Sonotube builders experience

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Beck, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Kevin Beck

Kevin Beck Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,..

Been gone a while building the new home. Finally have the theater ready to finish up, and outfit with new gear. I built a couple Sonos last year with Shiva drivers. Turned out to be a very interesting venture. What I want to use this time, is a pair of Tempest drivers. Question is,..in a nut shell, and I know results will vary depending on many factors, but,..to those of you all that have built a couple, or more of subs using the Tempest,..what have you found to be the best vented enclosure volume ect,..for theater usage, running about 350 watts a speaker.

Thanks for any info,...GRCRY,...>>>--->

2. Mike Dr

Mike Dr Stunt Coordinator

Well I havent built Several, but i just finished mine in a ~214 liter enclosure (vented, tuned to 18hz). My ht setup is in a basement with a concrete floor. the dimensions are 22' x 21' x 7'

This particular sub totally fills the basement and then some. I had windows on the first floor shaking (not to mention the floor boards)

I suppose there might be 'better' setups, but boy is this pleny

3. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Kevin,

I'm almost done building a dual Tempest sonosub. 480L tuned to 17hz with 6" ports. 28" x 53" tube. I will be doing final assembly tonight, but no amp yet. Dan W gave me the specs for this one and swears that I'll be VERY impressed for HT and music.