Sonosub, what exactly is it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AllanN, Jun 18, 2002.

1. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Am I right to assume that a "Sonosub" is just the HTF's word for home made subs? I also imagine that the sonotube that is used to create on is a commercial product? Just wanted some clarification on this so I don't sound like a idiot if I ever get in a discussion about one.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Yes, you've got it. Basically they use tubing that is available for pouring concrete posts (made from heavy duty cardboard substance).

They buy these pre-made tubes from a home improvement store (or contractor supply)- and cut it, cap it and build a sub from it. Similar design to the SVS product, just using commercially available speaker drivers...

If you check the DIY area, you'll find tons of discussions.

-Vince

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I'll add a little bit to Vince's comments.

The term Sonosub was coined by Andrew Pratt (or at least he claims he first used it :p)) as a combination of Sonotube and Subwoofer.

Sonotube is a brand of concrete pillar forms that is like RCA or Kleenex. Their name has been attached as the defacto descriptor of a particular product. Like Kleenex and RCA cables, there are dozens of different brands of concrete pillar forms.

This is how SVS started. Tom V has been hanging around the DIY advanced section of this site for a long long time. There is a photo of his room with around a dozen sonosubs of various sizes and designs in it floating around the net. And Ron S has a how to document on Secrets of HiFi were he outlines a sonosub he built.

SVS is Ron and Tom's best effort to bring the price performance ratio of these DIY Sonotube Subs to those who can't build their own. And they did a damn fine job, but still, nothing touches the price/performance ratio of a DIY sub (and they are so easy to build).

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

You found this thread Andrew [​IMG]
    I think I still had my old Pioneer HTB100 when you built your sub (I really wish I knew then what I know now :p)). So I have no way of knowing the scene at that time. Especially since I think most of the posts that old have been lost.
    Anyways I will take your word for it [​IMG]
    By the way, hows the IB coming. I so want to do one but can't with my current place. Hopefully when I move I'll be able to find a place that makes it feasible. Mind you that assumes I'll actually find a job soon [​IMG]

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

IB is built and rocking the house now. I have a BFD on order that should help fix a few response issues but all in all i'm in bass bliss.

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Lucky bastard [​IMG]
    And how come no pics?

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

9. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Silly me expecting the photos to be on your website :p)
    Get to it you lazy bum [​IMG]
    Looks good though (Edit: should rephrase that to your new room and layout looks awesome).
    Any reason you made the manifold so large?

10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer