What's new

Sonosub vs. Regular Vented Enclosures (1 Viewer)

Dalaran

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven
Hi all,

I just sort of found out about the whole sonosub design from browsing this forum the past couple days (I'm new here!:emoji_thumbsup: ). But what are the advantages to it? Does it get louder, or play clearer, or generally just for looks?

I will be getting a tempest short and was planing on a regular rectangular box, around 7 cubes net and tuned to low 20's. Would I be smarter design a sonosub enclosure?

I appreciate the help.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The shape of the enclosure has no impact to the sound when discussing subwoofer frequencies. You can say that one advantage is the small footprint but you could always build a tall, thin box. They are lighter since you don't need internal bracing. Some people may say they are easier to build since you don't have to cut straight but it is not easy to cut a round disc out of MDF either.

As for your design, why so large but not tuned that low? The guy that you are buying the driver from has a great design already in the Adire Alignment. And why not a new driver? Elemental Designs sells in Canada. Mach 5 Audio and Creative Sound Solutions are both based in Canada. The Tempest is a good driver but there have been some great drivers developed since then.

-Robert

Dalaran

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply.

I was under the impression that these woofers require a large vented enclosure (7 cubes or so), and I was also under the impression that the low 20's was a pretty low tuning frequency. This will also be used for music as apposed to 100% home theater.

I have looked into CSS and they don't really seem to carry anything anymore that interests me. As for ED I will have to take alook at their new equipment as well as Mach 5 Audio.

And also, what did you mean by the guy I'm buying it from already has a great design in the Adire Alignment? Plus how did you know who I am buying it from?!! heh

Thanks again.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I looked at your profile and clicked the button to see all of your postings. You have posts in the For Sale section.

CSS has XBL^2 enabled subs. What more do you want? Dan came up with that idea AFTER the Tempest.

Tuning varies widely. What are you going to power this with? Tuning in the mid 20's will require a subsonic filter. Also have you looked at the Tempest Vented Alignment paper from Adire. A Google search should find a copy. I found the sealed one the other day in 30 seconds.

-Robert

Dalaran

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven
Hey there,

I'll actually be getting the sub from CCA forum, much more local to me. I see the XBL^2 tech at CSS but we're talking around 3 times the cost for the woofer, I'll be picking up this used one for $80. I wouldn't mind spending a little more but I really don't want to go up to 300 bucks.

As per power requirements, I havn't totally decided but I'll probably be going with the 500 watt BUSH plate amp from CSS. I was just going to go with the 300'er but I figure for an extra $80 its nice to have the power there, esspecially if I upgrade later on down the road.

I was unable to turn up the vented tempest alignment paper although I have look at the sealed one. And yes, thanks, I totally forgot about the subsonic filter. How much generally do you have to tune above Fs in order to not require this?

Thanks again for the help.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I tune about 3 to 5 hz below Fb. Fs is the resonant frequency of the driver outside of the box. Fb is the resonant frequency of the driver in a sealed box or the frequency the port is tuned to in a vented box.

Tempest Vented Apps

-Robert

Dalaran

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven
Hey thanks again,

As for the vented designs it seems as though the SBB4 would most suit my needs.

Maybe I'm wrong but for some reason I was under the impression that tuning low would be more ideal for HT apps whereas tuning a little bit higher would be better for music, so I was trying to go with a little in the middle in the mid 20's but maybe I'll rethink this and try out the Adire design.

Thanks.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I can add a little punch in the 40hz to 50hz range using my EQ for music listening and leave it flat for movies. I store different frequency response curves in different memories.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maltby
Recent bookmarks