What's new

Sonosub suited for HIGH (100 or 120 Hz) crossover in a HUGE room? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
Jack: I'm seriously considering changing plans and going up to the tempest instead of the shiva. The larger enclosure hasn't passed the SAF test yet, but it might.

In post #7 you say that 120 Hz might be too high for a crossover with a Tempest, which I believe. Dan @ Adire told me in an email, though, that the tempest is clean to 400 Hz and I shouldn't have a problem. The whitepaper says there is a driver breakup mode at 300, and that the tempest should be kept under 250 Hz. I'm having trouble distilling this information into a "yes, it will work" or "no, it's too high" answer.

Can the shiva do it better? If it can, and a 150L enclosure is okay with my wife, would I be better served by a vented shiva since my room gain isn't going to be stellar? I installed windows (ugh) and looked at lspcad, and the average group delay of the adire alignment sub is at the peak of the sealed. About an order of magnitude higher, I think. But I wonder if I'll be able to tell one way or another... I've read that the difference in "tightness" between a well-designed ported sub and a sealed sub is inaudible.

My primary goal is to blend as smoothly as possible with my small mains. I really don't understand which aspects of sub design make for seamless blending.

Rich Kraus

Stunt Coordinator
you own your house? got a spare closet, or attic/basement by your HT room? if so, me thinks your another canidate for a 2 tempest IB. two tempests and a 250w plate amp should be close to budget.
no big box to pass saf. no complicated enclosure to build. lots of swept volume to go deep. heck, id do it (oh ya- i did) :)
i ran my IB for some time with a pair of NHT super ones that dont go too deep. it handled the high crossover just fine.

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Don't wan't to get off track but had a quick question about the PE amps and boost. I could swear that they are shipping the 300-794 amps with the bass boost already removed. I take it you are either talking about the PE 120 #300-792 or adding bass boost to the PE 250 #300-794. LMK.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I'd go with the Tempest, the kevlar/pulp cone is great, and it should work just fine. Regardless, it'll sound better than a Shiva which is overexcursing.
The line between sealed and vented subjective "tightness" has been blurred a bit lately by drivers which allow a very low tuning and flat response pushes group delay out of the range of audibility.

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Ahhhhhh, so wise grasshopper......
Thanks Jack. In the catalog I have all they show for the 250 watt amps is the 300-794 & the one with remote, 300-793.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the catalog gets out-of-date pretty quickly with all their new stuff.

Do you see the .pdf files for customizing the boost anywhere? I think they removed the instructions from the site.

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Are they comming out with a new catalog soon? I hope so.
The Boost instructions are still there. Look on the 2nd page of the "Download Spec Sheet (59K PDF)". That's where they got it hid :)
BTW..........
Since I told you where the boost info was, why don't you sell me what Anthony's 12's are :D hahahahahah :laugh: :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks