What's new

Sonosub Orientation? (1 Viewer)

greg jones

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking about building a Sonosub and was wondering if the tube's orientation (vertical or horizontal) made any difference, performace-wise? I'm wanting to lay it horizontally across my screenwall on my proscenium. I have about 2' of depth and the screenwall is about 8'.

I haven't really got into specifics yet (sub brand, size, amp, etc) as the orientation will dictate what I do.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
That should be okay. Typically it's only when you want to orient it in a downfiring direction which would make you find out if the driver is suitable for downfiring (due to cone sag over time).

greg jones

Stunt Coordinator
One last question...I was thinking about the possibility of doing a dual-sub configuration. My idea was to basically build two seperate sub enclosures out of one tube, with the subs firing in opposite directions. Is this advisable or should I just stick to a single driver?

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Greg

You can do a dual-driver configuration, but the required volume of the sonotube will be twice that for a single driver. People usually like sonosubs because they are easier to fit a large enclosure volume into a small footprint in a tasteful way.

greg jones

Stunt Coordinator
My plan was to do two seperate enclosures either by creating a seperation in the middle of the tube or by cutting the tube into two equal sections. Either way, when they are complete, it would look like one long tube, but with a driver at either end.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Why bother seperating them? I'd just leave the two drivers in one long tube...its really no different and it would be less work.

greg jones

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't know whether I needed to isolate each driver in their own chamber. I would think that if the two drivers share the same chamber (entire tube), and were firing in opposite directions (thus the magnets facing each other), then there might be some concern with cancellation inside the chamber.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
If it is going to be a sealed sub, then I believe any cancellations that might occur inside the enclosure wouldn't matter. If ported, it may cause problems, but even if you used two seperate enclosures, you would need some space between the the two subs for the ports to breath.

greg jones

Stunt Coordinator
More than likely, I will be going with a sealed enclosure, although I won't know exactly until I figure out what drivers I'm going to be using. If I went with a ported enclosure, couldn't I exit the port out of the same end as the driver? That way, I could still butt up the "bottom" ends of the tubes and not worry about the ports.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks