What's new

Sonosub in a car? (1 Viewer)

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if it was possible to make a sonosub (with a tempest) that could fit in the trunk of car. How small do they make sonotube?

Thanks.

Andrew

Rich Kraus

Stunt Coordinator
just build a regular box custom to fit your vehicle.
what time you save doing a sonotube box is wasted figuring out how to keep it from rolling arround.
how small do they make it? home depot carrys 8 inch i think. :) tough to make a tempect fit in that though.
you can get 16" stuff from a concrete supply shop.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Why not IB the thing instead (thus you still get to use most of your trunk space and give the woofer more air space to work with)?

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator
Although an IB is supposed to be the best in sound quality, wouldn't it have low SPL compared to a sealed or ported enclosure (from what I understand anyway)? If an IB configuration could compare decently with a ported or sealed enclosure in output, I would definitely go that route, but I was under the impression that the output was lower with an IB.

Can anyone verify?

Thanks

Andrew

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
In a sealed enclosure (an IB is a large sealed "enclosure"), output at a given frequency is determined by the displacement of the driver.

Ported will have more output.

ryan davis

Stunt Coordinator
IB usually gives you a flatter response, but you lose SPL. If your going to try an IB in a car, make sure you seal off the cabin from the trunk as best you can. Youll also want to make sure the trunk itself is sealed off from the outside. Image dynamics IDMAX are great for IB, and still can get very loud if thats your cup of tea (140 dbs easily at your peak frequency). Id personally just build your own enclosure, its much easier to get right. There are many subs on the market that will fit well in small boxes on the market right now if space is an issue.

Ron D Core

Stunt Coordinator
With a Tempest, I would attempt the IB. Ive heard Ib's in cars before and they tend to sound pretty damn good. A Tempest wants such a big box, you'll have a hard time tuning it properly and getting in your trunk at the same time.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Bazooka and HSU make "sonotube subs" for cars, and they seem to work well. The Bazooka's arn't huge bass monsters, but they do the job I guess. I'm more of a traditional box guy myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks