Sonosub help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jayson Y, Mar 14, 2001.

1. Jayson Y

Jayson Y Auditioning

I'm working on a sonosub design using (1)Tempest driver, 17.82cuft tube( 24"x72"), and 350 watts per VC. Using LspCad I've tried to come up with a good port size but can't seem to keep the cone excursion down to the max limits. Have tried 6,8,10" dia @ varius lengths but can't seem to get anywhere near the 32.8 xmas. Please give any suggestions!!
    Thanks

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

What tune are you trying to achieve with the porting?
    Just because your amp is rated at 350W/ch, it doesn't mean your sub will always be operating in that max condition. I would not design for such an extreme condition.
    Also, do you really need to build such a large enclosure? 335 liter (almost 12 ft^3) of internal volume will be sufficient to get the most out of your Tempest driver. That where I would go if I was to use one Tempest. And then I'd tune to 17Hz, using one 8" wide port 33.5" long. Your max power excursion will still remain high (around 57mm), but I would not worry that much about it unless you just blast your sub all day long with heavy bass-laden music.
    Using the 17.82 ft^3 enclosure is overkill, and your response will hump just under 20Hz, unless you tune the box/port in the 13-14Hz range. Go any higher, and you will peak high around 17-18Hz.
    Now if you were to put 2 Tempest in the 17.82 ft^3 enclosure, then you'd get some nice frequency response by tuning to about 17Hz. And your Xmax cone excursion maxes out at 27.5mm at 25.5hz. You could use two 8" wide ports 38" long.
    ------------------
    PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; LDs

3. Jayson Y

Jayson Y Auditioning

Thanks Patrick
    I was hoping to tune between 14-17hz. Had been looking @ Jeremy Santo's twin towers and had entered in those number's;
    14.33cuft
    10" port x 35.66"
    350watts per VC(150w for the twins)
    but thought the xmas might cause real problems, peaked @ 24hz w/xmas of 55mm.
    Thanks