Sonosub diameter

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Brantley, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Mike Brantley

Mike Brantley Stunt Coordinator

Can a sonosub be made that is 16 or 17 inches in diameter? Does the tubing come in that diamter?

The reason I ask is that I would like a sub to fit in the right front corner of my room, and I only have 17.5 inches of clearance between the right wall and the front speaker stage. I've looked online at some of the wonderful DIY sub jobs, and everybody seems to be using tubes that are 20 or 24 inches in diameter.

Is it even possible or desirable to build a sub that'll fit this space. If not, I'll have to consider other placement options.

Thanks!

2. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Mike,

There's a recent thread about putting a 12" sub in a piece of 16" sonotube. Do a search for it.....

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

It comes from I think 4" in diameter to over 30" in diameter in 2" increments. Although depending on the brand the actual diamter can be almost an inch more than the specified number.

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    looks like you need a 16" diameter sonotube with a 12" driver. This is also the size SVS uses.

5. Mike Brantley

Mike Brantley Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, guys. I think a 16-inch Sonosub is in my future. It'll probably be May before I can get started, though, for financial reasons. (Too much $ on hardware upgrades lately, and now I have to pay some bills and buy some DVDs. [​IMG] )
    Is 16 inches the interior dimension or the exterior dimension of the tube? I did some shifting and some measuring, and I can make 18.25 inches of width available between the wall and the right speaker. I have a feeling I would be pushing it trying to fit an 18-inch tube in that space, however, although if I could I would go with the 15-inch Tempest driver, I think.
    But that probably won't fit...
    So a 12-inch driver in a 16-inch tube sounds ideal. Total height (including legs and caps) can be up to 50 inches if I don't move a framed "Creature from the Black Lagoon" window card I have on the wall or up to 65 inches (!) if I do.
    If I decide to go with a sealed enclosure, what would be the ideal length for me to cut the 16-inch tube? Assume I'm using the Shiva driver. I plan to use the Parts Express 250-watt plate amp mounted in a separate box.
    I listen to a mixture of music and movies, although the room is intended to be a dedicated movie venue. But I've been rediscovering my music collection lately (lot of jazz and film music), and I do not at all like the boomy, muddy sound from my old Yamaha subwoofer. As a matter of fact, I've disconnected the dang thang and prefer the sound I'm getting without this substandard sub. Still, I'm lacking the deep bass.
    I'd like to feel a lot of impact from movie soundtracks. I want music to sound good, too. Will a DIY sonosub using the Shiva driver do the job? Will I regret not just saving up for an SVS?
    Some more citicial info.... My room is 12x18x7.5, with an air conditioning duct eating some space down the top right length of the room. I have no trouble reaching reference level with my Polk RT speakers and Yamaha RX-V3000 receiver. Mains are RT55, center is CS400, surrounds are RT35i and the front effects speakers for the Yammy DSP modes are RT15i.
    I know... I know... I should read all the sonosub posts ever made on HTF before asking so many questions, but I just want to know I'm following a good path. I have all the tools needed, and a sealed sub doesn't seem that difficult to make. I've learned a lot from Ron's thread, but like him my head feels like exploding when I get too caught up in the math and science involved. Whichever side of the brain is needed for that stuff is underdeveloped in my head. :b

6. Frank Kanyak

Frank Kanyak Stunt Coordinator

Hey Mike here's a 56" without the bottom base attached(it just got done drying!) Mind you that my JBL S412p's are 44" and this bad-boy is at 56" without a 3" base. I can't wait til the Tempest arrives!!![​IMG]