Sonosub and aquarium?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett_A, Oct 28, 2001.

1. Brett_A

Brett_A Stunt Coordinator

Anyone here have an aquarium in the same room as a sonosub(or other refernce capable system)? I am going to be adding an aquarium to my room with the sub and want to make sure I don't damage the fish. Anyone have experience between the two or know a fish forum I could ask?
    ------------------
    Brett

2. Chris Hoppe

Chris Hoppe Stunt Coordinator

Don't worry about it! [​IMG]
    The impedance difference between water and air is something like 5000/1. Very little sound willl get through to the little fishies...
    When you're underwater in a pool, do you hear people up on land?

3. Brett_A

Good point but then again I have never played my sub at reference in my pool [​IMG] Thanks
    Brett

4. JimHal

JimHal Stunt Coordinator

Here is a quote from a PBS article.
    "sound propagates through water more effectively than any other form of energy. Indeed, sound travels through water five times faster than it does in air."
    I'm not sure if this means it will hurt your fishies though.

5. Chris Hoppe

Chris Hoppe Stunt Coordinator

Yes, that is true, but propagating sound from the air into water is incredibly difficult...
    Cool thing to try next time you're in a pool... have a friend with a beeping waterproof watch go down to one end of the pool, while you dunk yourself underwater at the other end. You can hear the beeping loud and clear!

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Since sound travels so much better under water, maybe we should all flood our HT rooms, get waterproof speakers and use scuba gear. Maybe we can hit referrence levels after all without disturbing the neighbors. [​IMG]

7. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Stunt Coordinator

it really depends on how seriously you take your fishkeeping.
    a serious aquariust would never so much as tap on the glass as it IS stressful to the life in the tank.
    if you are only going to keep a simple fish only tank, then i really dont see an issue, but for a more complex tank (an advanced reef for example) id avoid it.
    FURTHERMORE, no on has addressed the reverse issue, fish tanks make noise. punps, bubblers, skimmers, powerheads, etc... ALL make some noise, some things like chillers make LOTS of noise. do you really want to hear that during the quiet passages of a film?
    ------------------
    'Till next time,
    Rich (the kite guy)
    My DIY audio page!
    Use your ashtray please, dont throw um on the street. thanks [​IMG]

8. Brett_A

I have a Fidek 3002 so noise isn't really an issue, even before I did the resistor mod. [​IMG] The tank will be quieter than the amp though.
    I had never heard this issue raised by anyone before but then again most fish people don't have loud HTs. The tank is going to have cheaper fish anyhow(Oscar, pacus and the like) so it won't bother me too much if something happens.
    To keep the DIY theme I will be building the tank to go with all the other crap I have built [​IMG]
    Brett

9. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

It is difficult for sound to travel from air to water. But probably not too difficult for vibrations to travel from the tank structure to the water. I'd say, just make sure you have a solid structure for the tank. You may want to use some sort of acousti-mat type rubber under the tank just to be safe.

10. Rich Kraus

oscars and pacus wont be a problem, and assuming your just going to run an over the back power filter (popular with oscar keepers, since oscars tend to re-arrange everything else) then yes, the fidek will be louder. big pumps, skimmers, chillers and the like will put the fidek to shame even from the next room from a noise floor standpoint.
    oscars are tough, so they wont mind too much i dont imagine. a reef or other complex system was my concern. i cringe at the thought of bass vibration loosining a piece of rock, that in turn falls onto a rare species of plate coral on the bottom of the tank.
    your going to DIY the tank? or just the furnature arround it (stand, hood, etc..). IMO until you get to the relm of 500-1000+ gal tanks whwere you start using concrete, an "off the shelf" glass tank will be better/cheaper than a DIY unit. i am planing an in wall reef rig here, if id quit upgrading the HT i could afford it. im going to use an all glass brand standard 120 since it is reliable and cheap. i had previously considered doing the plywood box with viewing window method, but scrapped that once i spread the hours involved agenst the cost of the pre built glass. ill just cut the hole to size and drop in the 120, then build a "picture frame" arround the hole to hide the tanks frame. (got an extra 3 grand or so laying arround? if so, send it over so i can get started.)
    ------------------
    'Till next time,
    Rich (the kite guy)
    http://home.tampabay.rr.com/kraushome/diyaudio.html
    [Edited last by Rich Kraus on October 30, 2001 at 09:29 PM]

11. Brett_A

Yeah I am planning on a DIY tank and stand/canopy. I don't agree that it is cheaper for a DIY until 500+ gal. After about 50 gal it starts making the difference worth it especially if it is a custom size aquarium. If you already have the tools it reduces cost even further. An all glass aquarium is also very heavy and will cost much more than a ply/glass one. What starts getting expensive is tall aquariums where you need thicker glass. I still may end up with a store bought tank if I decide I don't have time or can rearrange furniture to make one fit. Too many decisions [​IMG] Maybe I will finish it in blue formica like my speakers [​IMG]
    Brett

12. Rich Kraus

blue formica, oh ya life is good. [​IMG]
    youll need to find some big silver dollars to go with all that blue, they tend to have a bluish hue to them anyway.
    glass tanks are brutally heavy your right. also right that a custom size demands a DIY effort. i just think that for most folks, if you can find a size you like, off the shelf glass tanks are the way to go. there the cheapest part of many set ups anyway, even when store bought. my 120 reef project will total out at about 3000 bucks once its fully running (including rock and sand, but not including any other livestock...), the all glass 120 (48x24x24), even with twin overflows factory installed is only 375 odd dollars, and all i have to do is drop it in. considering the ammount of plumbing/electrical/structural effort required, making one step easier will be a blessing.
    have fun, and dont forget to take pictures of the tank in progress!
    ------------------
    'Till next time,
    Rich (the kite guy)
    My DIY audio page!
    Use your ashtray please, dont throw um on the street. thanks [​IMG]

13. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

How are you planning to waterproof the sub driver cone where it comes into contact with the water? It would have to be non-toxic. Also, wouldn't the driver be better if the baffle opening on the side of the tank is near the top of the water line to avoid the water pressure pushing the cone in too hard? A buttkicker might be more efficient in this application than a sub driver. Those are designed to move more mass and could be easily coupled to the tank. First we have cats with their paws glued to sub drivers so they can enoy the bass. Now fish want more bass too?

14. Brett_A

I wouldn't even know where to begin with an "all in one" The sub is a dual Shiva tube that is seperate from the proposed tank. [​IMG]
    Brett