Sonic the Freaking Hedgehog: NGC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LarryDavenport, Feb 15, 2002.

1. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I picked up Sonic Adventure 2 for my Game Cube last night.

The good, incredibly deep graphics. Pretty colors.

The bad, you can't turn off the very annoying music.

The game goes by so fast that you miss stuff all the time. It is so freaking hard (I would love to watch someone get all the gold rings). The first big boss I encountered seemed indestructable.

I'll try to play more this coming 3-day weekend (it supposed to rain the whole time).

Anyone know if there is a (FREE) on-line help book?

2. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

There will be an online help book within days. At this time you can probably use the guides for the Dreamcast version of the game, as it's largely the same game.

I only had about 5 minutes worth of play before having the controller ripped from my hands last night. I enjoyed it, but found it to be fairly difficult. Particularly the first enemy. The rings are difficult to keep - and get. ESPECIALLY in the front-view section.

I can't wait to play more of this game.

Also, I visited 5 stores in order to find a GCN/GBA link cable. Those things are elusive! I really hope Nintendo starts supplying retailers more effectively.

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Never got the DC version, was thinking of picking this up. A friend got it yesterday and said it was pretty good, but that the camera bugged him a bit.

4. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Second Unit

I got it and the cable from EB, but i am stuck at work so i cant check it out. I can tell you, though, that the camera problems were also in the sega version and the first boss was a bitch in that one as well. This game is much more challenging than the first one..

5. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

If this is the same game as the DC version then prepare to be disappointed. There are bits of gaming brilliance (the sonic and shadow levels) but they are too few and far between. The Tails levels just get annoying, and the knuckles levels are long and repetitive. A whole game of just Sonic levels would have been much better.

6. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Even if you had the DC version, the Gamecube version is enhanced enough to be worth buying.

Additions include a total of 30 2-player modes, 6 new playable characters, and enhanced Chao minigames.

A good single-player game, but a very good multiplayer experience.

7. Adnan Sheikh

Adnan Sheikh Stunt Coordinator

8. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

I too picked this up. I'm having a good time in all the modes, although Sonic/Shadow is by far the most fun. I wasn't interested in the Chao raising at all, but once I tried it once I was hooked. It really gives you motivation to go back through the levels and get more stuff.

I too took a while to get through the first boss (despite Omnichao's hints), but like all good boss levels, once you discover the secret, it's cake.

I think the reviewers have really underrated this one, but that tends to be the trend with ports.

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Also, you can put the Chao game onto your GBA without having the Sonic GBA game...you just can't turn your GBA off after putting the game on, or else you lose the data. You can run it in 'sleep' mode, which uses 1/10 of the power, though.

10. LarryDavenport

Anybody know where I can find the hidden Chao in Stage 3 of the City Escape?

11. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

There are hidden Chao's? SWEET! Or do you mean hidden Chao Keys/Boxes?

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Nope, John - there's a hidden Chao in basically every level. You can't find most of them without all of the powerups however. There's five challenges on each level in the DC game - get through it, get 100 rings, find the chao, beat a time limit etc.

13. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I still need to work my way through story mode. I keep getting sidetracked replaying levels and playing with the Chaos that I do have. I am really loving this game, and I get the impression I haven't scratched the surface yet.

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I have a choice to make. Which should I get:

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle

Super Smash Bros. Melee

I've been looking for SSBM since that is older, but I can't find it ANYWHERE. If I go with SoA2B I could get it by tonight.

15. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Considering you hated the Sonic games on the DC, Morgan, it'd be wise to go with Smash Brothers Melee I'd guess.

16. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Smash is pretty well available at any Best Buy.

I love Sonic enough that Smash hasn't been back in my GCN since it arrived, but Smash is an EXCELLENT game you shouldn't go without.

17. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

18. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I didn't hate Sonic Adventure (the only Sonic game for DC I played) and actually liked a lot of it. There were some problems, and the best levels were Sonic's (the rest was pointless), but overall it was probably one of the best DC games I own. Worth the purchase and I did enjoy it.

There are no Best Buys near me. I have some Wal-Marts, K-Marts, Circuit Cities, and thats about it. Everything else (Electronic Boutique and Toys R Us being two big ones) either don't have the game or are too far for my dad to drive me. There is a (brand) new Wal-Mart like 5 minutes from my house that has SoA2B in stock, along with a buncha other games, but no SSBMs. Every stores around me that I checked (thats a total of around 8 stores) didn't have SSBM, but did have SoA2B.

So I'm kinda leading towards Sonic since its available (and I never got the DC version of SoA2) and I could just get SSBM later on.

19. LarryDavenport

Anybody get the lost Chao in City Escape Stage 3? I can't figure it out making the game not very fun.

20. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I sometimes suffer from not reading the guides that come with games. I didn't see the additional 4 levels on stage select mode. I started playing through some last night. Some are very difficult. Certainly adds that much more to the replay value of this title.

I have not successfully found any hidden Chaos, so I ask for this bit of advice... Should I finish the story mode first? I'm currently on the asteroid/knuckles level (an infuriating one) and presume I must need a device for Sonic to break through metal crates to do the Chao finds.

Any limited advice would be appreciated.

Thanks to this thread, this game got even better!