What's new

Sonic/Tails in SSBM? (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
In the April issue of EGM (they are known for their April issue jokes, hence, the ? in the title), on page 151, they printed a secret to get Sonic and Tails in Super Smash Bros. Melee. You need to get a score of 20 in Cruel Melee, which I hear is VERY tough. So either this is a well kept secret or a good April fools joke. Can anyone confirm this?

The pictures they printed with the story look authentic, but so did those GoldenEye ones...

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
I'd bet that it is a joke, rumors have been flying forever that sonic would be in the game. I think the magazine is just playing off that hype trying to get a reaction (check out the SSB:M board at gamefaqs).

What was the goldeneye april fools joke they played??

JQ

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Maybe someone could get pictures, I don't remember the year...

The secret was that you have to beat one of the levels on 007 mode with everything at max difficulty (open up 007 mode and you'll see what I mean) without getting hit and in a certain time or something like that to unlock the other Bonds (Connery, Lazenby, etc.) in multiplayer. They even had pictures of the other Bonds at the character selection screen and in gameplay. Pretty amazing stuff, and even more amazing how many people they pissed off with it.

GAEGM (Gamer's Against EGM) was started because of this, IIRC.

Since then, they've had some small jokes, but nothing as big as the GoldenEye one.

I remember when they announced Conker's Bad Fur Day being as dirty as it was in their April issue in 2000 and everyone thought it was an April Fools joke.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Last years pissed me off. It was an article saying that Sega had found several thousands of their never released Neptune systems and was selling them for $199. They even had the URL Link Removed bastards.

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
If this were true, somebody would have found it by now. The game's been out for a couple months, and there are a lot of players out there who have gotten 20+ on the cruel melee.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Ahhhhh....reminds me of the good ol' days and unlocking Sheng Long in Street Fighter II. :D
-Dave

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The Neptune thing I pretty much picked up as a joke from the beginning....sorry you got screwed on that one.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I was reading the issue of EGM earlier today and noticed something...

Whenever you unlock a new character (after beating them) a screen pops up that says something along the lines of "(character) is now playable" and usually has some little thing that refers to their reputation or something (like Dr. Mario's says "Prescription? KOs!" or something like that). In the magazine, there is a picture of this screen for when you get Sonic/Tails that says "A Dream Has Been Cast" and at the bottom it has the date and time. The date is April 1, even more evidence that this is an April Fools joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks