Songwriters Hall of Fame performances

Discussion in 'Music' started by Michael Allred, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    My bit will focus on Queen's performance/induction (which was broadcast on Bravo earlier tonight.)

After about a month of waiting, from the actual ceremony to the TV broadcast, I finally saw Queen's induction into the Songwriters Hall of Fame on the Bravo channel tonight.

Just like the RnR HoF, Queen kicked off the show (thank god because I would've hated having to sit through a lot of artists that I find dreadful.)

"We Will Rock You" was the opener. Kind of strange really, this being the *Songwriters* HoF and performing such a simple song....? Anyway, Brian May once again made the mistake of trying to get the audience clapping/singing along (like he did at last year's Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame induction.) This isn't Wembley Stadium, and these kind of crowds just don't do that, I mean this isn't the MTV awards we're talking about. I'm sure the crowd enjoyed it though. I was pleased that, after the umpteenth rendition of WWRY, the boys decided to do part of it a bit differently with Brian singing a verse a bit slower near the end with a much different backbeat from Roger Taylor.

Wynonna was up next for the actual induction and she seemed genuinely happy to be there. Brian and Roger came up to accept the awards and proceeded to perform "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" with Wynonna singing. She certainly has an Elvis feel to her singing and thus sounded entirely appropriate for the song.

My biggest gripe was Roger's drumming....I don't know if he's just getting older, or if he's rusty from not performing live too often these days, but his work behind the skins sounds fairly weak. Maybe he just needs to play more often? Brian's playing is just as skillful (if less than enthusiastic) than ever.

I'm just happy to see our boys get further recognition here in the U.S.

If anyone else saw the show, feel free to chime in with your thoughts on the other artists who were also featured.

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

How did Phil Collins get inducted?