What's new

Songs You Messed Up The Words To (1 Viewer)

Tommy G

Screenwriter
At my place of employment we had an interesting discussion during one of my luch hours. It was how we thought we knew the words to certain songs and found out we were wrong. The first one that comes to my mind was the song by Carly Simon called You're So Vain. I thought the line went ".....and your horse naturally won. Then you blew your winnings up at Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun......" I ended up singing that extremely loud while driving with my wife one day and she started laughing
laugh.gif
at me and pointed out that it is ".....flew your Lear Jet up to Nova Scotia..." at which point I
blush.gif
was truly embarrassed.
Now, my story is nowhere near as bad as a coworker of mine. He thought that the Billy Squire song "The Stroke" went like this ...."Don't be a stuntman. Don't. Don't" instead of "Strokin', Strokin'. Stroke. Stroke". That cracked me up
laugh.gif
to the point where I had tears in my eyes.
So my question is (and I know everyone is included) which song did you mess up the words to and had it pointed out to you in a humbling manner.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The one I always rib my wife about is "Waterloo" by Abba (she's a big Abba fan). We were in the car one time listening to the greatest hits CD, and she started singing "The poet did surrender"...
------------------
Nothing In Particular

AdrianOC

Stunt Coordinator
Neil Diamond : Forever In Blue Jeans
I thought it was Reverend in Blue Jeans for a while!
blush.gif

How about the song thats sung at mass sometimes about the teddy bear in heaven that has something wrong with his eyes?
"Gladly The Cross I'd Bare"
------------------
"Want to hold up a bank in Latin?
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."
(I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)
My DVD List

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
My wife thought the song from Flashdance that goes "take your passion...and make it happen" was really "take your pants off..."
biggrin.gif

Then there's the song from the Fine Young Cannibals "She drives me crazy...like long blonde hair" listen to it sometime and I swear that's what it sounds like.
Or when I was a kid we'd listen to the soundtrack from Fiddler on the Roof (I had older siblings that really liked show tunes). The song "Tradition" went "Padington...Padington" to me. I really liked Padington Bear so that's what I heard.
I could go on and on, but I can't think of all the others right now. I'll come back when I remember more.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

[Edited last by Bill Catherall on October 05, 2001 at 09:54 AM]

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Anytime I know the words an it ends up with "I looked in your eyes" I always sing "I looked betwen your thighs"
I fid it funny :) Try it!!
LL strange B

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
I always thought John Cougar sang "That's when a spoke was a spoke." I still listen to Cherry Bomb and can't believe it's "That's when a sport was a sport!"
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Judging by the responses so far, I hope this one isn't too recent.
wink.gif

"Disarm" by the Smashing Pumpkins caused me great concern when it first came out. "Inside of me / And such a part of you" sounds a lot like "Sodomy is such a part of you". It doesn't help that the chorus contains the line, "I used to be a little boy..."
------------------
Link Removed
He obviously misinterpreted what it means to "be bullish."

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I'm glad somebody already covered "Reverend Blue Jeans" and "...wrapped up like a douche". I feel a lot better now.
For the longest time, I didn't know the title of Aretha Franklin's "Chain of Fools", and thought it was a song about a fool named Jane.

RafaelB

Second Unit
"I can see clearly now, LORAINNE is gone" instead
of "THE RAIN is gone". I always wondered what was so awful about Lorraine.
biggrin.gif

Rafael

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
Here's another modern one.
Next time you hear the newer Three Doors Down song "be like that" the choruse is sung "if i could be like that" but if you're not really paying attention it sounds an awful like like "f--k me like that"
it's kinda creepy

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Definitely showing my age with this one...
Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
I'm not even going to write specific lines because I inserted words I thought should be a part of the song until the chorus started.
I think any song Weird Al did a spoof on is probably one that many people sang wrong lyrics to. :)
Brian

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Steely Dan, Reelin' in the Years - "...baked beans from Boston..."
(That "...so young and willing..." part I just chalked up to their usual absurdist tendencies.)
OK, not really very funny, but it proved mildly embarrassing once.

Steve Schick

Stunt Coordinator
One time my wife (who is a social worker and works with troubled kids in foster care) had to transport on of her foster kids, a 15 year old girl. She had to stop and get gas at a truck stop in Southern Illinois.
With all the windows rolled down and Aerosmith on the radio, She was singing out quite loudly
"Do me like a lady"
Little did she know those where not the lyrics to "dude looks like a lady"
Needless to say my wife yelled at her to stop singing. The truckers where looking at them kind of funny.
------------------
You liked the movie? ......Try it on a nine foot screen.
My DVD Profiler Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks