What's new

Songs you love by bands you hate (1 Viewer)

Hunter P

Screenwriter
OK, guys (and gals),
I need a good laugh. We all have bands or singers that we hate (strongly dislike). It seems like everything they put out sucks donkey eggs. But once in a blue moon they pull out a song from their arse that you cannot deny and must give props. Some of these are embarassing to admit. And all of these are painful to admit I'm sure.

This thought came to me as I was listening to "All I Have to Give" by the Backstreet Boys. I don't think anyone can come up with one more embarassing than that.

I'll post more as I think of them.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hunter -
you are nothing but an amateur at this game. i challenge you (or anyone else) to beat these:
"girl you know it's true" - milli vanilli
with a close second for:
"ice ice baby" - vanilla ice
i hate to admit it but i dig them tunes! :D

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
I hate rap, but there's something cool about the Eminem song they used in the commercials for his recent movie.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I despise Michael Bolton, Celine Dion and the whole school of vocal gymnasts that have sold so many awful albums over the last couple of decades...

...but...

I have a soft spot for Bolton's first 'hit,' That's What Love Is All About. Not even sure about the title, but I've always loved that melody.

David R. Hendrickson

Stunt Coordinator
funny:

Boogie Nights - Heatwave

i'm serious:

Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) - Green Day
Down By The Water - PJ Harvey
By Your Side - Sade
What's Up - Four Non-Blondes
Human Nature, Frozen, Like a Prayer - Madonna

i'm VERY serious:

All of My Love, Thank You, In The Evening - Led Zeppelin

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
There is only one that comes to my mind:
"Tell It Like It Is", by the (usually) gawd-awful Heart
Jon

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Good Charlotte - The Anthem (I love the lyrics, but the music isn't as great.)

Good Charlotte - Boys and Girls (Don't ask why...)

Eminem - Lose Yourself

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
• Boston: "More Than a Feeling"

• R.E.M.: "What's the Frequency, Kenneth"

• Tears for Fears: "Shout"

• Hole: "Doll Parts"

• Leopold Stokowski, National Symphony Orchestra: Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5 (I normally take vigorous exception to how Stokowski used to practically rescore a composer's works, but here on a decent 1960s vintage Decca reading it all kind of works, especially in the third movement)

...and a few more.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Boston: "More Than a Feeling"
...are the signature songs for those artists. If you love those, I have to wonder what you hate by those people!
For me, there's Elton John - "Rocket Man" (and to a lesser degree, "I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues" and "I'm Still Standing"). Can't think of anything else offhand. Usually when I hate something, I hate it all the way.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Stayin Alive by the Bee Gees. I liked it back then, I still like it now and I just plain don't know why.

There, I said it. I feel better now.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Good call on "Lose Yourself" by Eminem. I dislike his peacock antics. However I instinctively bob my head when I hear that song. (One caveat: this song was overplayed at its height. It could have had its own radio station.)

Hunter P

Screenwriter
I have to admit that some of the entries are surprising. Especially some of the newer entries. Would someone care to elaborate on their "less obvious" choices?

Of course they are your opinions so hopefully we won't get some yahoo posts saying something like "Joe Blo is awesome and you're stupid for not liking him."

As I stated before about Eminem, my dislike of him as a person leads me to discount most of his music. However his "Lose Yourself" song is too good for me to deny.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I think the band I'm thinking of is called Third Eye Blind, but I'm not sure because most of these alterna-rock bands sound the same to me. But they had one song that was just a three-chord riff and I absolutely love it for some reason.

I kinda like Stayin' Alive, too.

Hole: "Doll Parts"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks