What's new

Songs with a good drum track (1 Viewer)

EdNichols

Second Unit
Got any suggestions for some songs with a nice tight kickin drum track? One that will make or break a sub?

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Checkout the first Motley Crue album without Vince Neil (the one with Hooligan's Holiday). I despise the music itself, but Tommy Lee's drum mix is outstanding. A great test for any new sub. :emoji_thumbsup:

AricB

Second Unit
NIN- the fragile, maybe even and all that could have been live
Tool-lateralus
Course of Empire-initiation

I'm kind of at a loss, i know i should be able to think of more....

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
There was a thread a while back that talked about bands where the bass and kick drum were solidly locked together...that tends to add incredible impact to the low end.

A few that came up were:

Queensryche - Empire (the entire CD)
Thomas Dolby - Aliens Ate My Buick (The entire CD)
Kings X - Black Flag (on the ST album)
Dream Theater - The last CD (can't recall the title)

I also agree with Tool; they would be an excellent choice, as they are extremely well recorded.

BGL

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
Nine Inch Nails The Fragile
A Perfect Circle The Thirteenth Step
Blue Man Group Audio
Metallica The Black Albulm
Jet Get Born
The White Stripes Elephant
Tweaker 2AM wake-up call
Any Tool disc
Green Day American Idiot (big surprise! great disc)

AricB

Second Unit
Kris, is Tweaker someone from NIN's live band? Ive heard the name before, not much about the music?

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
Tweaker is the offspring of Chris Vrenna who used to be the drummer for Nails (Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, TDS). There is also a great DVD of 2AM out that is essentially the entire albulm in DD 5.1 with accompanying video. Since it only costs about $12, it is a steal if you like MC music. Chris doesn't do any vocals, just the music. There are guest vocalists on the disc though. The music is better then the lyrics but overall I enjoyed it.

AricB

Second Unit
I'll check it out. i have a few dvd's like that, Cornelius, and MeatBeatManifesto... thanks. I always liked his drumming on TDS, march of the pigs live, blew my mind...

sorry, back on topic.

although the rest of the album sounds pretty bad, metallica's and justice for all, has a ton of double kick drum.
the reverend horton heat-live in color dvd, has pretty good sounding drums, actually everything except the vocals sound pretty tight. and they have one good drummer.

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
Don't look for the same drumming style in Tweaker. Chris did a lot of engineering and it doesn't sound anything like NIN except for the fact that it is industrial by nature. There is still a lot of good drumming and serious bass lines, but not like the live feel of March of the Pigs. That was more a Trent and Nails thing. Remember that NIN is Trent. The music and everything is done by him and then played by the live band which at the time was Chris. Tweaker definately has its similarities but it is not quite to the same league in my opinion as Nails.

George See

Second Unit
The first rusted root album has a lot of nice percusion on it. I'd second blue man group if you get the DVD-A of either of their albums it's even better.
How about Tommy? can't talk about drumming without bringing up keith moon.
The Pet sounds Live concert dvd has some great big drums too.
How about Fiona apples second album. Theres a really great drum break in I think the 4th song...good stuff.

Joel Stein

Stunt Coordinator
Most of the songs on Peter Gabriel's third (melty face) and fourth (Security) albums have good drum tracks.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Phil Collins, before he went all bouncy pop. Either with Genesis (for example, on the self-titled album "Genesis" tracks like "Mama" and "Second Home by the Sea") or his earlier solo stuff (tracks like "In the Air Tonight").

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Bill Bruford's drumming on King Crimson's RED album is great. He's particularly intresting on the track One More Red Nightmere...

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Metallica - And Justice For All, Black Album, and St. Anger ;)
Nirvana - Nevermind
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Lamb Of God - Ashes Of The Wake
Slipknot - Slipknot, Iowa, and Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses). They've got a drummer and two percussionists, 'nuff said. ;)
Chimaira - Impossibility Of Reason
Killswitch Engage - Alive Or Just Breathing and The End Of Heartache
Fear Factory - any album
Tool - any album
Green Day - any album
Probot - Probot

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
The 1st band that came to my mind was Garbage. I never appreciated Butch Vig until I saw them live. He was rockin out so hard, I barely even Shirley :b . Version 2.0 has some great drums/loops/bass that will definately shake your house. In particular, check out these tracks:
Temptation Waits
When I grow Up
Hammering in My Head
Dumb
Just my 2 cents.

Well, a little different, but one of my favorite discs, The Hunter, by Jennifer Warnes, has some great percussion.

In particular, the last two tracks are really something. At the very end of "The Hunter" the boom-boom CRACK of the kick, and snare will amaze you at high volume. The beginning of the final track, "This Dream" has a powerfull drum roll that will, along with shaking the house, reveal the upper bass quality of your system. It should sound loud and distinct, poor upper bass or bad crossover, and it will sound like a muddy roar.

There's also something on "Gaia" (sp?) on James Taylors Hourglass that will wake you up. Not sure if its a tympani, or maybe a synthesizer, but wow what sound.

These two discs are extremely good for sound quality overall, and if you like that sort of upscale pop they should be in your collection.

Dave
check out "White Room" by Cream too!

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Not necessarily sub busting, but the Beatles had some incredible drum tracks just for their sheer consistency.. Abbey Road has some great moments ;)

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
What kind of music are you looking for.... There are a ton of great drums in the heavy metal/nu metal/death metal/ hardcore/ scene that will blow you away...

Tony_B... You read my mind on the albums you picked, especially Fear Factory......

R~

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks