What's new

Songs that make you think of a certain scene in a movie (1 Viewer)

ToddS

Stunt Coordinator
Help

I am trying to build a mix cd of songs that make you think of a specific scene in a movie. Examples include...

Moving in Stereo Fastimes at Ridgemont High
Im alright Caddyshack
Loving Feeling Top Gun

Any style of music and any movie will work. Thanks for your help.

Darren_N

Stunt Coordinator
"New Slang" by the Shins from the movie Garden State. If you've seen the movie, you'll know what I mean. It plays during the scene where Natalie Portman's and Zach Braff's characters first meet. Plus Natalie's line:

"You have to hear this song. It will change your life."

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Darren

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Zero7's In the Waiting Line makes me think about Garden State, it was well chosen. Good soundtrack, though I'm not particularly fond of The Shins.

Kiss Me - Sixpence None the Richer - She's All That where Janie's(?) walking down the stairs. Don't ask me why, but whenever I hear that song, that scene pops into my head.

Mad World - (originally by Tears for Fears, but covered for the soundtrack) reminds me of Donnie Darko. Even the original version now reminds me of that movie.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
In Your Eyes (Peter Gabriel) will always make me think of "Say Anything".

Jason

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
"Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen will forever more remind me of Shaun of the Dead

I have to second "The Sound of Silence" by Simon and Garfunkel. It will always remind me of The Graduate

"Just Like Honey" by The Jesus and Mary Chain will always remind me of the ending of Lost in Translation

"And Then He Kissed Me" by The Crystals always reminds me of Adventures in Babysitting

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
"Under the Milky Way Tonight" by The Church always reminds me of the party scene from Donnie Darko.

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
This is a great thread idea.
"Bad Moon on the Rise" from "An American Werewolf In London" The gruesome transformation scene.

Here is a couple of classical music entries:

Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings. I hear it a lot but I always think of "Platoon".

Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries. "Apocalypse Now" "..the smell of napalm..."

The singing of the French national anthem "La Marseillaise" in "Casablanca" is one of my favorite movie scenes of all time.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Yep, that one too. I hadn't seen the movie until recently, but now when I hear that song I vividly remember that scene. I have to say music was very well integrated into that film.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Here's a couple of my favorite songs: scenes-

Song- Walking On Sunshine by Katrina and The Waves.
Scene- High Fidelity. Jack Black's first scene in the
movie where he bursts into the record shop and puts
that song on, and John Cusack gets upset.

Song- Stuck In The Middle With You by Steelers Wheel.
Scene- Reservoir Dogs. The policeman gets tortured by
Mr. Blonde.

Song- Tiny Dancer by Elton John.
Scene- Almost Famous. The group sings this song during
a bus ride while on tour.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Not a movie, but...

The Ray Charles song Night And Day [Night Time Is] The Right Time is tied in my mind to the episode of The Cosby Show where the family lip-synch performed the song. SO, when I bought the Ray soundtrack, this was the first thing that came to mind.

Last week, I had the soundtrack on while I was dropping a friend home, and the song came on. Within five seconds, she turned to me and asked, "Wasn't this song on The Cosby Show?"

I suspect for many of us in our mid-20s, that song is absolutely tied to that show.

EricW

Senior HTF Member

that's funny... everytime i hear that song it makes me think of the Benny & Joon TRAILER :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Indeed a good thread idea. :emoji_thumbsup:

In addition to that classic Peter Gabrial song from Say Anything, Nancy Wilson did a really great song for the end credits called We Did It All For Love. I love that song!

Mandy Moore did a couple of great songs for the film A Walk to Remember, I can't hear Cry without thinking of that film. Two other songs I love from her in that film are It's Gonna Be Love and Hope.

Say what you will about the film, but Aerosmiths I Don't Want To Miss A Thing from Armageddon is one good song!

Also, that 80's song The Final Countdown always makes me think of Rocky IV, it sounds just like it came right off the soundtrack even though it didn't. Listen to that song and tell me you don't picture Rocky training to that song during one of the film's montage's. :laugh:

Jefferson Airplanes Don't You Want Somebody To Love? brings The Cable Guy to mind everytime.

Anything by Huey Lewis and the News makes me remember Back to the Future. As does Sammy Hagar's Can't Drive 55, that song will forever remain THE anthem for the evil 1985 that Biff created in Back to the Future part II.

Huey and the boys are also starting to become synonimous with American Psycho as well, i'll never hear Hip to be Square the same way ever again.

Anything by Randy Newman makes me think of Toy Story.

The Day the Music Died makes me think of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace because of Wierd Al Yankovick's hilarious parody. :laugh:

That's it for now I guess. :)

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter

Actually, that song always makes me think of GOB Bluth. Maybe it's just me... :D

Oh yeah, how, oh how, could I forget "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel. That song always reminds me of the indeliable image of John Cusack holding the boom box over his head. Such an awesome scene...

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
"It Had To Be You" as sung by Harry Connick Jr. always makes me think of When Harry Met Sally. Especially the scene where they are walking in the park together with the fall leaves on the ground. (Even though that music was not playing in that scene).

ToddS

Stunt Coordinator
All are great ideas please keep them coming although my cd may have to become a box set.:D Here are a couple more of mine

"Girl You'll be a Woman Soon" Pulp Fiction
"Afternoon Delight" Anchorman
"Dust in the Wind" Old School
"Love Stinks" The Wedding Singer
"No More Mr Nice Guy" Dazed and Confused

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Second the "anything by huey lewis and the news" = Back to the Future.

Fretless - REM - everytime reminds me of Bis Ans Ende Der Welt.

"Night & Day" - Ray Charles - also always reminds me of Rudy coming down the stairs in Cosby Show.

"Sound of Silence" - The Graduate

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Huh? :confused:

I'm almost certain that the song you're referring to is called "The Right Time" [sometimes called "(Night Time is) the Right Time"], not "Night & Day", which is a Cole Porter song, of which I'm unaware of a Ray Charles version (though he may have recorded a version of it). Ringo Starr did cover Night & Day, but it wasn't what the Huxtables were singing to. :)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Ray Charles, I can't hear his song Mess Around without thinking about John Candy driving in Planes, Trains & Automobiles.

Sonny & Cher I Got You Babe always makes me think of Bill Murray waking up in Groundhog Day.

Auld Lang Syne - the end of It's a Wonderful Life

Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree by Brenda Lee - Kevin's "party" in Home Alone.

We'll Meet Again by Vera Lynn - credit sequence for Dr. Strangelove.

Blitzkrieg Bop by the Ramones - kids in the back seat drowing out parents in National Lampoon's Vacation.

Shout! - toga party in Animal House

Various Scott Joplin rags - The Sting

Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head - bicycle montage in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Bad to the Bone - George Thorogood when the Terminator gets his sunglasses in Terminator 2.

The Blue Danube - the spinning spacecraft in 2001.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks