1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

"Songcatcher" - An Appalachian Delight

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveK, Nov 26, 2001.

1. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

The other evening, I had the great pleasure of watching "Songcatcher". This is truly a wonderful movie and is filled with music of the Appalachians. The story is relatively simple: a musicologist travels to the Appalachians and is surprised to hear a familiar Scotch/Irish ballad. She then visits many of the native population and collects the songs they play and the ballads they sing. There is a commentary track with the director/writer, and I was pleased that it focused more on the music than on the movie, which is exactly the type of commentary track I expected and exactly what I wanted after watching the movie. There is even an isolated score track available, but I didn't have the opportunity to listen to much of it. I did listen to the first song, and was somewhat surprised that it featured only the instrumental and not the vocal. I don't know if that is true for the many other songs in the movie or not.

As far as other extras, it features very brief excerpts of interviews with the main actors of the movie, some of whom sound quite knowledgeable about the subject. I wish they would have included the entire interviews rather than such brief segments. There are also extended segments of several of the songs featured in the movie. There is apparently a CD available which contains songs from and inspired by the movie.

I wouldn't classify this movie as a "musical", even though music is a significant portion of the movie. I found it to be a thoroughly enjoyable movie, and I plan to purchase it soon. If you enjoy Appalachian music, or if you like a movie that doesn't rely on special effects, then give "Songcatcher" a try. I think you'll like it. I know I did.

Enjoy!

Steve K.

2. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

is the disc anamorphic?

thanks,

dave

3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

SteveK, thanks for the heads-up. I love little gems like this...

4. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

David- I don't know if the movie is anamorphic or not. I don't have a 16x9 display, and I had rented it from Blockbuster, so I don't have any way I can check the box. Sorry about that.

Steve- Have you had the opportunity to watch it yet? I'd be interested to know what you thought of it. Hopefully you enjoyed it as much as I did.

I was quite surprised to see any new comments on this topic, as obviously it had been several months since I first posted it and there were no responses during that time. I've obtained so many great recommendations from this forum, I'm glad I can return the favor once in a while.

Steve K.

5. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I saw this last June(?). I remember enjoying it, although it veers wildly off course in the last twenty minutes or so.

6. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

really looking forward to getting this film (on DVD).
    BTW, just so people know, even if you don't have a 16x9 tv and don't have packaging you can always set your dvd player to "16x9" and see if the picture gets tall and skinny to determine if a transfer is anamorphic or not.
    Of course, you'd have to have the disc to do this, so a rental from the past wouldn't contribute to this end.
    The disc is on order. If anyone happens to know if it's 16x9 or not please let me know...I'd like to go ahead and mourn the loss of resolution *now* before I get it [​IMG]
    -dave

7. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Glad to report to the rest of you that in addition to being an excellent movie (which you probably already knew) this is not only a 16x9 anamorphic transfer, but one of the best transfers I've seen. It's stunning, and any of you on the fence should let this push you over to the side of a purchse.

-dave

8. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

Good to hear the disc being good. My reaction was similar to Mark, that the overall movie was very enjoyable, but the last segment of the movie goes off to a tangent that is unnecessary.