Song of the South

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnRyan, Sep 13, 2002.

1. JohnRyan

JohnRyan Stunt Coordinator

Disney - PLEASE consider re-releasing "Song of the South" in the USA! I was recently able to see the whole movie instead of the little snippets that used to be shown on the Disney channel forever ago. I don't understand what all the hype is about. It is a GREAT movie and I see nothing wrong with it as far as racial whatevers go! I would like to think that America has matured over that past few decades and be able to see this movie as a fun splendid movie!

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    We had this discussion many times already. Although most people do not honestly understand why this film could be seen as non-pc, some people do. Some are even passionately against a new release.
    We suspect there's little chance it will appear any time soon on the US market, even though it would probably generate a big revenue.

Best chances are in Europe and Japan. The VHS tape of SOTS has been available for a long time in those parts of the world, while it wasn't inside the US of A.

Cees

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Scott MacQueen recently restored the film, so I'd actually expect a DVD from Disney in the next year or two.

There's no info for a DVD, but it makes you wonder why Disney would restore the film if they didn't plan to release it....

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    That's great news. Let's hope it was intended for the US market as well!

Cees