What's new

Song of the South ? (1 Viewer)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
If Disney thinks that they can make money off of a release, then it will happen. Right now they are in desperate need of funds, so maybe if we make enough noise, they will hear.
Maybe.
I hope.
Perhaps?
Aw poop. I doubt it. :frowning:

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
Is it only the live action segments that are holding back US release, or are the animated segments deemed "offensive" as well?

I ask because one of the TV programmes on the "Disneyland" Treasures set includes a complete animated segment from Song of the South (in b&w, of course). If Disney is prepared to do that, then maybe it will be prepared to release the whole movie in an "Archive" edition.

By the way, I recently visited a London branch of the Disney Store and it was playing the complete movie (available on VHS here) on the large video screen. Wonder what the US tourists thought?

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I own a copy on VHS (bought two copies of the European PAL tape, had them both converted, gave one to my parents), and I find nothing wrong with it. It's a great movie, and one of my son's favorite Disney titles. I would love to have it on DVD, mainly because the quality of my tape isn't the greatest.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Is it only the live action segments that are holding back US release, or are the animated segments deemed "offensive" as well?
The animated sequences are also part of it. Somehow (don't ask me how) they're accused of being stereotypical. I've seen a few animated sequences that I downloaded -- seeing as how I obviously can't buy it -- and I can't really see anything that would justify that. In the sequences that I've seen, the unknowing viewer would just as easily (if not more easily) attribute the animated characters to rednecks than southern blacks.

But you also need to keep in mind that certain individuals who I will not name (but suffice it to say would be nobodies if they didn't find racism where none exists) also accused the hyenas in "The Lion King" of being stereotypical against blacks and accused the cursed Jar-Jar of being a racist stereotype in "Star Wars: TPM".

Disney is so afraid of a vocal minority (I'm referring to minority in numbers, not skin color) that we probably will never see it any time soon.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
The biggest argument I've heard about the animated sequences is that the Tar Baby is clearly racist. While I've never actually heard that used as a derogatory term--in fact, I've never heard it used outside of Song of the South/Brer Rabbit, or references to them--apparently some people feel it is. I've also heard several people argue that Brer Bear & Brer Fox are clearly negative, Black stereotypes, and because of this the movie should remain in limbo. The people who argue against it never want to discuss what a positive image is portrayed by Brer Rabbit (clever, uses his brains to get out of sticky situations)--who I always thought was supposed to be Black moreso than his adversaries--and Uncle Remus, who is one of my favorite onscreen presences of all time. He embodies love and friendship in my eyes, and seems to be the most respected character in the movie. James Bucket (forgive me if I got his name wrong) received a special Academy Award for his portrayal of Uncle Remus, and for being a friend to children around the globe (I also forget the exact wording). There are so many clearly defined positive aspects about the movie, it's a shame that the negative aspects--that you have to dig for and use a lot of imagination to see--are holding this movie back.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
There are so many clearly defined positive aspects about the movie, it's a shame that the negative aspects--that you have to dig for and use a lot of imagination to see--are holding this movie back.
100% agreement. It's also really sad that the number of people who are protesting are no doubt miniscule to the number of people who would see no problem with it.
But what does Disney care about integrity anyway? Just look at the "uncut" and "unedited" Fantasia. :rolleyes:
I'm considering asking a friend of mine in London to get a PAL version and convert it into something that I can use to make a decent DVD out of it.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Although many know this, Joel Chandler Harris based his Uncle Remus stories on actual slave tales in the old south.
James Baskett did indeed win the special oscar. He did an amazing amount of work as Uncle Remus, as well as the voice for Bre'r Fox. An ironic twist, however. When he auditioned for Disney for a small part (Brer Fox, probably), they wanted him to perform as Uncle Remus as well! Baskett also became the very first African-American actor to win an Oscar for acting. Hattie McDaniel, who won the best supporting actress oscar (first African-American to win ANY acting oscar) for Gone With The Wind is also in the film.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Baskett also became the very first African-American actor to win an Oscar for acting. Hattie McDaniel, who won the best supporting actress oscar (first African-American to win ANY acting oscar) for Gone With The Wind is also in the film.
So ... two black actors with enough integrity and talent to win Oscars agreed to study for and perform in SotS for roles that they would have most likely refused to do if the roles were blatantly and derogatorily racist.

Yet the movie is too racist to be released. Uh huh. Oh, yeah. That makes sense. The Clue Meter is reading zero when I point it towards Disney Home Video's HQ.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Wow, what a fantastic discussion about the very nature of Song of the South. When I find a copy of the VHS up here in good old Scotland, I will buy it and see what the fuss is all about.
Thanks for informing me about this movie
:emoji_thumbsup:
update
found the www.songofthesouth.net and added my e-mail address to the signatures (9606 I believe)
:D

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Yet the movie is too racist to be released. Uh huh. Oh, yeah. That makes sense. The Clue Meter is reading zero when I point it towards Disney Home Video's HQ.
Disney's Home Video division isn't clueless, it's running scared. Look to those who wish to continue to have this film suppressed and you will find the clueless ones.

-Lyle J.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks