Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Disney before Disney had the Alice series that was live action and animation.
SotS was one of a pair of this format in the 1940's - the other being So Dear to My Heart 1948.

ADDED: this doesn't count the friends south of the border series that had some animation and live action.
this method goes back to Gerty the Dinosaur (1914) -

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I get a GOLD Star! Told posters cool it on that talk! I am being a GOOD boy!
Dog GIF by ViralHog

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
All this talk about bootleg material is causing me to think this thread might have come to the end of the road.

It’s one post away from being locked down.

I really hope that this doesn't cross the line you've set, but I just felt it needs clarifying that the Japanese Laserdisc was released by Walt Disney Home Video in 1990. It is a legitimate product released by the legal rights holder.

sots.jpg

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I really hope that this doesn't cross the line you've set, but I just felt it needs clarifying that the Japanese Laserdisc was released by Walt Disney Home Video in 1990. It is a legitimate product released by the legal rights holder.

View attachment 174093

This is the version I acquired from Tower Records in Las Vegas many years ago.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I wonder if he [Baskett] had to sit alone in the back of the auditorium when his Oscar was awarded, like Hattie MacDaniel did ?

I have to correct this statement.

From the biography by Jill Watts called "Hattie McDaniel: Black Ambition, White Hollywood" (Harper Collins , 2005) : "Additionally, Hattie McDaniel, as the guest of David O. Selznick, became the first African-American to attend the awards ceremony. But there was another first in store. The word was out. The Los Angeles Times, privy to advance information, had leaked the names of the winners in its late edition. Many of those gathering already knew what the ceremony would only make formal--Hattie McDaniel would be the first African-American to win an Oscar...Cameras flashed as she made her way to the ballroom, exquisitely dressed in a tasteful, rhinestone studded aqua blue evening gown, white ermine jacket and a beautiful corsage of white gardenias. As she entered the Coconut Grove and made her way to the table, the crowd of almost 1,700 members of the Hollywood film colony broke into a resounding applause. She and Yoder were seated with a white man (possibly William Meiklejohn, or one of his representatives), at their own table, placed at the periphery of the room but near the stage where the awards would be given. Even on this evening of Hollywood firsts segregation remained the rule...But Variety reported that she was so overcome that she left the speech at her seat. The oversight allowed McDaniel to speak on her own. Instead of delivering a speech prepared by Selznick's staff, praising the producer, the actress, with the help of Ruby Berkley Goodwin, had worked up her own remarks. Although they were hardly revolutionary, they did not belong to a white writer."
___

The "Hollywood" miniseries provides further inaccuracies:

In Ryan Murphy's "Hollywood" miniseries Hattie is stopped from coming in to the Oscars. (Fact: She had a reservation.) In the series someone says they might let her in if she wins. (Fact: Up til then, newspapers were furnished with the names of the winners, but asked not to publish them until they were given out. The Los Angeles Times jumped the gun so a good many knew all of the winners that night before they were announced. This is the reason AMPAS went to secrecy on the winners the following year.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Took the name off this to post it Contract negotiations with Disney "castmates" they cannot survive the house of mouse in heaps of trouble
"has worked at Disney World since 2018, he's dressed up as everything from beloved Disney cartoon characters to Star Wars villains. And while he loves his job, he says he can't afford it any longer.

"Me loving it, that's not enough to pay the bills," he said about his $15.85-an-hour salary that usually earns him about $550 a week. With rent for a typical apartment in the Orlando area costing about $1,800 per month according to Realtor.com, he says he couldn't get by if he wasn't living with his sister."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks