What's new

Song of the South (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
The British empire abolished slavery by parliament in 1833. The date in late August was celebrated as Emancipation day. When I was a child in Windsor Ontario in the late 50s early 60s, there was always a parade and we loved to go to the midway set up in the park.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Europe and other countries don't seem to get so up in arms about racism as much as the US does.

Yes, they do. The UK Blu-ray of Fawlty Towers has a warning about "racist language" on the box. I think I know which scene they mean, and the reason it was there was to make him look like a doddering old fool and thus by proxy to make racism look like an ideology solely of doddering old fools. If only it were that simple. I can't find a similar warning for Monty Python's Flying Circus though they also had racial/ethnic slurs; gay ones, too. They even had a whole sketch in series 3 called Mrs. N-----Baiter Has Exploded. After it happens, the Pepperpot there says "I never liked her," so it's there to mock her for being racist. That's what sets it apart from the likes of Triumph of the Will, a movie made for no other purpose than to promote Hitler's genocidal megalomania.

Disney just cannot handle any kind of negativity, not even constructive criticism. It's always all or nothing with them. They can't deal with having to deal with labels about foul/derogatory language because that means parents will have to have "the talk" with their children who, assuming they are old enough to read, are sure to ask once they see it on the box. But if their past treatment of race has been called into question enough times to warrant this level of reaction (and their present overcompensation deserves just as much if not more scrutiny), then why not their treatment of women?

Last edited:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Yes, they do. The UK Blu-ray of Fawlty Towers has a warning about "racist language" on the box. I think I know which scene they mean, and the reason it was there was to make him look like a doddering like fools and thus by proxy to make racism look like an ideology solely of doddering old fools. If only it were that simple. I can't find a similar warning for Monty Python's Flying Circus though they also had racial/ethnic slurs; gay ones, too. They even had a whole sketch in series 3 called Mrs. N-----Baiter Has Exploded. After it happens, the Pepperpot there says "I never liked her," so it's there to mock her for being racist. That's what sets it apart from the likes of Triumph of the Will, a movie made for no other purpose than to promote Hitler's genocidal megalomania.

Disney just cannot handle any kind of negativity, not even constructive criticism. It's always all or nothing with them. But if their past treatment of race has been called into question enough times to warrant this level of reaction (and their present overcompensation deserves just as much if not more scrutiny), then why not their treatment of women?

Strange that the UK would have warning about language, seeing as their country uses swearing as part of their daily vocabulary. Both Monty Python and Fawlty Towers got away with a lot of content that you can't today.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Recently, I was filling up the gas tank in my car, and I heard some rap blasting out of someone else's car using the N-word so many times it almost sounded like one of the Mark Furhman tapes from the O.J. Simpson trial! A culture that draws the line at this movie doesn't draw it at that. I don't know what to say about that, so I'd rather let someone sing it:

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
seeing as their country uses swearing as part of their daily vocabulary
That's quite a sweeping statement...
Europe and other countries don't seem to get so up in arms about racism as much as the US does.
Maybe not in arms, but there have been numerous peaceful protests over the past week in many towns and cities around the UK supporting 'Black lives matter'

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
England is not a free-for-all regarding film censorship. The BBFC cut a lot of things that slid by in the US without an R rating, such as the "cunning linguistics" line from Mrs. Doubtfire.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Unfortunately not happening. They even banned Zip a Dee Doo Da one of the two most iconic Disney songs from the parks' music loops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks